my daughter is 7 yrs old and she always wants to sleep in my bed, any suggestions of how to get the to sleep in her bed???

Heather0583

Asked by Heather0583 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We had to go through this with our son. It took a lot of patience to get him through this stage. He has a night light and I keep the bathroom light on for him. It's right next to his room. We would take him to bed, tuck him in, and read to him as he laid down. I think it helped him to settle into bed without even realizing it. The only advice I can give is to be firm. If you give in and let her sleep in your bed even only a time or two, she will always feel like she can even if you say no nine times out of ten.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 12:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Perhaps get her bedding with her favorite character or a special bed. For example, my son LOVES Thomas the Train, so he has this "pop up tent" bed surround: http://www.amazon.com/Playhut-Thomas-Tank-Bed-Topper/dp/B000VQCHTU

They make disney princess and other characters

If not something like that, ask her what she would like for her bed to make it pretty and comfy
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i,m a tought mom..i say make her go to her owne bed..my dd wasin my bed till 6..i finly had to be mean mommy.. u need ur time to.. good luck ..
    KRIZZ25

Answer by KRIZZ25 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm feeling you on that one since I have a 5 year old sn who has slept in the bed with me for 4 years now and has his own bed but I often sleep in the living room because my bed is very uncomfortable for me since he's a wild sleeper,arms and legs everywhere which I have not had a comfortable nigtht of rest so I recently started nsleeping in that big cozy bed in the living room and my nights are almost better if I can get the amount of sleep I need to face the day but thank god for coffee so believe my you're not alone on this venture but you'll be okay.
    mommys1luv

Answer by mommys1luv at 12:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You need to lay down the law, but nicely. We got my daughter a "Moon in My Room", which is both educational and comforting. Don't let her think that sleeping with you is even an option. If she has her own bed, that's where she belongs.
    MammaG

Answer by MammaG at 3:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• She is seven? Tell her to get in her own bed.
    happychic

Answer by happychic at 10:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Ask her what she needs in order to sleep in her own bed.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The best solution was on Super Nanny, the show. She said go through your normal putting them to bed routine. Then say, you need to sleep in your own bed, and there is no discussion about it. Then you tuck them in. Everytime they try to engage you in coversation about it, or get out of the bed, you say nothing. You take them by the hand and put them back in the bed, nicely. Keep doing that, even if you have to do it 10 times. But show them there is no bending on your part and no tit-for-tat negotiations on the matter. They will wear down, and go to sleep. Let me know if you try it, and it works. It worked for mine.
    tucson.mary

Answer by tucson.mary at 6:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2010