Do you think smokers get discriminated against?

I am a non-smoker, but it seems like there is discrimination as far as cigarettes are concerned...what do you think?

I know it leads to cancers of all kinds, dangers of secondhand smoke, etc, but there seem to be fewer and fewer places that smokers can light up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Just for Fun

• To each their own, but agree with all the no smoking laws. Just because someone smokes, It's not fair to others that don't or can't be around smoke..I am glad for all the no smoking laws. Let the smokers keep the smoke to their self..
    Coming from an ex smoker
    Anonymous

• I think it is the persons decision if they are going to smoke or not, im sure they are aware of the problems that could cause. I don't think smokers should be able to smoke in restaurants etc unless its a bar, i think its a little bit expected. There should be certain places smokers can smoke, its a burden on people that DONT smoke.I cant stand when people walk up to me and light up a cigarette and im currently pregnant. It's disgusting and pisses me off. lol

I was a smoker too.. i stopped the day i found out i was pregnant.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I do and I don't. I am a non-smoker as well and as much as I believe in freedom to smoke, I believe in my freedom to go out in public and not inhale second hand smoke.

I believe that in any public area smoking should be prohibited or at least have an outdoor smoking section away from the general traffic flow.

This should include outdoor sporting events and any other outdoor event. I cannot stand being seated in assigned seating and having puffs being blown my direction. To me it is the same as if i were to take some caustic chemical and spray it in someones face. What is the difference other than one is battery and one there is no law against.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Boy, you sound like my husband! He says the same thing! The problem is, that secondhand smoke infringes on everyone else. It's so unhealthy and it isn't fair to expose kids and well, anybody else to it. Like I tell DH, it's his right if he wants to smoke but I have a right not to have to breathe it...and he smokes in the yard.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My insurance at work also automatically raises your deductible if you are a smoker...
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• a lot of insurance places do that heathermarie, smoking gives you a bigger chance of having problems.
    Anonymous

• I know that insurance costs rise due to people being smokers....what about overweight people? If cigarettes were made illegal because of that, would the same thing happen to obese people? Wouldn't insurance rates go up due to healthcare costs of being obese? I'm fat so I think about that sometimes...
    Anonymous

• Actually, at my job if you're overweight, smoke, have high cholesterol, you have a higher deductible than everyone else. After a year they reevaluate and if these things have changed then you may get a lower deductible.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• no i really dont think so bc you can do what you want to your body but when it affects me then thats a problem and usually the smokers arent thinking about the non smokers when the are lighting up....

for example... im pregnant and use public transportation for now.. there have been many instances where im sitting in the little plastic thing that covers you from rain and someone who smokes will come sit my me...... no rain or anything.. so i have to say something and they get all pissy..... and its like im dont want to kill myself or my baby so why would i let you?
    hunilemonrose

Answer by hunilemonrose at 5:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Why should my children with Asthma have to inhale their nasty smoke? I think they get what they deserve...they choose to smoke, so live with the ramications of it.
    Anonymous