My son who is 5 and has ADHD will often refuse to take his medication but he's very active,I have to administer his meds in applesauce because he will not swallow a pill but some mornings I'm rushing out to get him to school and I forget to give it to him.He's no problem at school which I find strange since he's a handful at home,should I keep giving it a try to make him take it or what can I do?

mommys1luv

Asked by mommys1luv at 12:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like he needs a more structured home environment, and OFF of the meds.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Not sure on the details about your son but I do know he should either be consistantly on or off the medication. Not going on some days and off others. If it's a problem to give him in the morning maybe he can take it at school. If he doesn't need it at school, maybe he could go without it at home also??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Teacher here: one thing you said really struck me.

He's no problem at school which I find strange since he's a handful at home

A kid with true ADHD is a handful anywhere they are. There are three possible explanations for you to feel this way....

1. You dont have the discipline that the school has and are not handling him well. Threfore, he handles school but not home.

2. He IS acting up at school, and you just dont know b/c the teacher is dealing with it and not communicating with you well.

3. You have too high expectations of him and therefore, teachers find him "normal' boy behavior and you feel he is too active.

Not bashing you at all.....my dd is 5 and I feel she has adhd...she is hard to handle....so I KNOW it can wear you down....just trying to help and give you another teachers opinion. Please dont be offended.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Stop the meds. Let the boy go outside and play!
    rain408

Answer by rain408 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• eh...adhd is NOT situational....kids with adhd act up everywhere or they dont really have adhd at all...as a social worker, imd reccomend taking him off the meds and implementing some serious behavior modification techniques and giving him more activities to do at home.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 12:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Give this more of a time allotment. Children vary in every thing and in every way.
    My one son is a handful but he does act out to anything that doesn't appear to gain him something, it could just be he didn't like the way (my son) his hair looked and he will be up a tree all day, and then on my case later. If he decides his hair is awful he could have done some planning earlier. Just saying, it's not moms usually they just need some "me'' time to make decisions, and think, and do things the way they like.
    Anonymous

• PLEASE do not stop meds without consulting a physician. As far as I know, none of us on this board are medical doctors and none of us is qualified to determine your son's medical condition. Please take him to his doctor. Get a second (doctor's) opinion if you want, but do not take strangers' advice over that of a medical professional. Thank you.
    MammaG

Answer by MammaG at 3:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree with ObbyDobbie.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• First thought that came to me was If he is bad at home but not at school, how do we know it is ADD and not a child running your household? You say sometimes he refuses...um not an option..your the child and will do as I say. I think you should have him re-evaluated.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Have you talked to his teacher about how he's truly acting at school without the meds? Like someone else has said, his teacher might just be dealing with him when he's not taking his medicine and she's just not reporting his behavior to you. Kids with ADHD typically with have problems everywhere, not just in one situation or another. I would talk to his teacher before making any decision about if he really needs the medicine or not.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 11:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010