HELP! My new house is 1/2 dirt in the back yard!

We moved into this new home this summer. We have 2 dogs who come in and out with the doggy door and bring the dirt in on my carpet. I am really freaking out, worrying about what the carpet will look like this winter when all the grass dies off. Any suggestions on what I can do for the dirt? Maybe a fall/winter grass that's fast growing? There is also a large tree where the dirt is that sucks up all the moisture where the grass has tried to grow.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

SunnieStyles

Asked by SunnieStyles at 12:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I don't know what your climate is but here in the Northeast, Fall is the best time to spread grass seed. It will grow very fast with cool nights and thicken in the spring. You could try confinining the dogs inside an area and seed around them then move them to the grassy area when it grows in a week or two and seed the other area. For around the big tree, I would build up a wide circle around the base where the grass doesn't grow. Build a low wall with rocks or pavers and back fill with dirt. In the spring plant shade plants like hostas.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You may just have to wait until the Spring and get sod, I'm not sure Sod would do well right now if you live in a colder (4 season) climate. Until then perhaps get a cheap area rug for in front of the door the dogs use and invest ina good vacuum
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Spread grass seed and lyme over it and cover that with hay. The hay holds the seeds in place. The only thing it has to be watered so expect a big water bill.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• MOM2Jack04 is right.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes, that's all I have been able to think of to do. Large mats, on the patio and vacuum more.
    Thank you for your response!
    SunnieStyles

Comment by SunnieStyles (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I really like the hay idea. I would never thought of that THANK YOU:-)
    SunnieStyles

Comment by SunnieStyles (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Thanks for all of your suggestions! I think with all of these great ideas I can definitely found a great solution to my problem;-)
    SunnieStyles

Comment by SunnieStyles (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010