Tips for an interview?

I have an interview today for my first professional, well paying job and I'm nervous! Any tips? Also, is it appropriate to ask what the starting salary is at the first interview?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Pretend you're confident even if you're not!! And, no, don't ask about salary on the 1st interview.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• no do not ask about salary. have questions ready you always want to have questions. ye contact always have eye contact. Make sure your answers dont sound like you had them prepared.
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Think positive, go in there telling yourself that you are the best for that job and it is yours. And yes ask what the starting salary is but throw in a couple of other questions about the responsibiklieties and room for growth in the company first. Interviewers respect and take notice if you have questions.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Do NOT talk money on the first interview. That should be saved for the 2nd interview. Make sure you close them on the 1st interview...tell them you why you like the company are excited about the opportunity and you want to know what the next step is. Make sure you do your homework on the company before the interview. Know who the CEO is and the rest of the executive team. Know exactly what the company does so you can ask intelligent questions and apply your experience to the position.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• 1) dress the part
    2) bring a pen as well as a copy of your resume with you, even if they have one.
    3)Be a few min early
    4) firm hand sake a good eye contact
    5) ask questions about the job not the money. You want to sound interested in the job more than the paycheck(even if you aren't)
    6)Send a Thank you note.
    7) Turn your phone off!
    8)Give more than yes and no answers but don't tell them a novel either. lol.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Dress the part. Wear a suit or at the very least a skirt and nice blouse. Don't wear perfume or go overboard on jewellry. Make an impression on the receptionist -- remember you are being watched from the moment you step through the door not just from when the interview begins. Try to rehearse before you go so you can avoid awkward pauses after you're asked questions and definataley avoid using "hum" and "um" or "like" while answering. Never bad mouth on older employer. Be truthful about your past job experience but don't give too much info, just enough to answer the question. Lastly, remember the interview is all about what you can do for the company, not the other way around.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• NEVER ask about the salary during the interview. EVER. Your clothes should match the type of business you're interviewing for. Do some research on the company you're interviewing with and think of some questions for your interviewer. Nearly every single interview I've had, they've asked me if I had any questions and I looked like a fool when I had nothing. Below are some links to help you out, too.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/interviewquest.htm
    http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/interviews/a/interviewdining.htm
    http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewsnetworking/tp/interviewattire.htm

After the interview, be sure to write down the name of the person who interviewed you. Write them a letter or a card, thanking them for the opportunity to interview for their company.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/msn/category.aspx?categoryid=IV --Career Builder is one of my favorite sites for information. GL!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Don't use perfume.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010