Other moms....

Does anyone else have trouble bonding with other moms? I feel like I'm in a contest with so many moms I meet!

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• I do. I am probably the youngest mom in my son's second grade class. It makes me self conscious. I guess I just think too much. I've always been painfully shy though.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 12:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Me too, I feel like it's a test and there all just waiting for me to mess up
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 12:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes, I dont care for most of them at my son's school.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Most of my friends have older children, so I'm really lucky that there's really none of that. I tried joining a few play groups - it was a constant competition for who could "out mother" the other ones. It was insane, and my youngest and I don't even try to meet other moms/babies anymore.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes and no. I sometimes find it hard to connect with some moms. Not like we are in a contest or anything. Just don't click with some of them. I am always looking to meet other moms, I think others are just content with what they have I guess.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Whenever I’m around other moms... I feel like its a competition on who’s kids are better. I hate it, ill say something like OMG my son did this… which in turn turns into yeah my kid did that, oh yeah my kid has done and did this... I just smile and say awesome. Why, cant they do the same. I honestly have one other mommy friend that I talk to... its sad really :( I wish I had more

Not sure if this is how you feel but that I would say my two cents anyhow.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Some women thing child rearing is a competition. I don't get it either. We're all doing the best we can and it should be let go at that. Keep trying hon. Take the kids to the park, to the library for the reading hour, or watch their football or other sports games. Eventually you'll find women who aren't competitive about everything and just want friends to hang out with and help each other out.
    Of course, I have a friend who was very competitive about everything, not jjust child rearing. Whenever she tried to start that up I eventually learn to say uh huh, that's great! and change the subject.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yea, this is my first so maybe I had high expectations of playgroups and such. And honestly...I've been to a couple and eveyone seems to brag about their baby the whole time.
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I actually have an easier time befriending the mothers of people my age. It's kind of like they've been there, done that, and know that the competition aspect of it is just silly.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Every mom is different and should never criticize another on how she is raising her children.Unless,of course,there is abuse involved.Babies don't come with an instruction manuel.The are the only thing that is delivered without an instruction manuel.Take it easy on all mothers.I really do believe that the majority do their best.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 12:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010