Why is it hard for so many women and their MIL's to get along?

It seems like every other person I talk to can't stand their MIL. If you do get along, you're frickin' lucky!

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Because she was his number one girl for at least 18 years and now she has to figure out how to share him with someone she doesn't really know and most likely doesn't think is good enough for him (not your fault though, no one is good enough). Give her a break, if you have a boy, that will be you one day...
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Because they are two women competing for the same man! (I think) I cant stand my mil because she is phyco at times, and chooses favorites between my children and doesnt hide it, and thinks that my df should do everything for her and that I dont matter. the list goes on and into detail but I wont bore you into it :)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My MIL and SIL don't like me but tolerate me. SIL accidently sent me an e-mail meant for another SIL calling me white trash and saying I got pregnant on purpose to trap my husband.....lol, because my husband who worked as a landscaper, is 5'1", and lived in a dump was really what gals out to trap men look for in the men.

I don't see any of them very much, they think i'm a snob and perhaps I am, but I have a life to live and it's a waste of my time, energy and emotions if I let them get to me.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• because they are vying for one man's attention?? each woman wants the #1 spot, i guess.
    i get along great with my MIL. we hardly ever see each other, as we live too far away..and she's all up in my SIL's business, anyway. (i guess its a mother/daughter-thing.) works for me!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE both my MIL and my step-MIL. Yes, I have TWO of them! I don't think I've ever had an arguement or cross word with either of them...and my hubby and I have been married for 9 years.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My MIL is not involved in our lives, so I have no problem with her.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree... My mother-in-law... I will just say she wore ALL WHITE to our wedding!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I suspect because mothers feel "replaced" in their sons' lives and wives feel like the mothers can't let go and have to control everything.

When I was married, I rarely saw my MIL, she was not a fixture in my ex's life. She signed away custody of him when he was 3, and their relationship was fairly distant.

The man I dated after him, his mother LOVED me, and even after we broke up, she still called and asked about me and my kids. I still remember when he and I were dating, she went off on her son in her native German and smacked him up the back of his head. He told me later it was a warning not to "screw it up" with me or she'd hang him from the nearest tree!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Cause they are so old school in their skills....being supportive no matter what and taking the less dominate role is a skill...we will still honor them as family leaders...more so~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Some not all, There sons are just as bad. Some of them love there mommy more than there wife. Which is another big problem between husband and wife. This is my sisters case,she lives in hell every day. Thank god I do not have this problem. My husband is not like this.
    Anonymous