Did/does anyone smoke cigarettes & breastfeed?

I'm trying to quit, but it's hard. I'm down to about 5 cigs. a day, versus a 1/2 pack a few weeks ago. I know I'm going to catch he** for posting this by some, but at least I'm being honest. Do you think it's better to breastfeed & smoke, or should I be feeding formula for now? I've heard both sides from family & friends, & I already know that I need to quit, completely for good. I don't smoke in my baby's face. I go outside to smoke. I'm sure there's some others that smoke/drink & breastfeed out there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I dont smoke but I do breastfeed. Breast is best, even if you smoke imo. If you smoke it gets on your clothes and what not anyways and the baby breaths it in, so I dont think it really matters too much. its better to not smoke at all but at least your cutting down! good job!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I hope people wouldn't do both!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I did read somewhere to smoke immediately after feeding so then there is more time for the nicotine to get out of your system before you nurse for the next time. And I think I have read that breast is still better even if you are smoking, but obviously the best is to nurse and not smoke so keep trying to cut back and quit. And always wash your hands, of course, and if you can wear a jacket over your clothes that you take off after you smoke to keep the chemicals off of you as much as possible that is better, too.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It's better to smoke and breastfeed as long as you aren't smoking more than a pack a day. Baby will be exposed either way (on your hair, clouthes, etc...) so it's better to have the protective effect of human milk for the lungs.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• First I applaud your slowing down on the smoking. Secondly, I applaud you for not smoking in your home. And Third, I applaud you for breastfeeding.. You shouldn't smoke before feeding, because I've heard that can slow down your milk supply... So I agree with mary, and smoke afterwards. My daughter is 10 months old, breastfed, and I smoke also. I am down to two a day ( I am a closet smoker, my DS, who's 3, hasn't ever seen me smoke)... So you aren't the only one!!! Don't let harsh comments get to you! Keep your head up, keep trying to quit, and feel proud of yourself for trying to do what's best for your child!!!
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 1:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think it is better to breastfeed, but obviously, I encourage you to quit. I know how hard it is because I had to do it before I have kids. Just get the cigarettes out of the house and go through the few days of tough times and be done with it. I'm not saying you won't have cravings later, but after those first few days, it's much more manageable. You can do it! Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Definitely better to breastfeed. http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html

Of course, not smoking at all would be best. Good luck with quitting!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The benefits of breastfeeding out weigh the risks of smoking...there are some really good Bfing sites like La Leche and Kelly's kids or something or other that agree...good luck quiting it is tough!!
    feloniousbelle

Answer by feloniousbelle at 1:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You're on the right track! As a smoker, I know how hard it is to quit. (I actually started after my kids were more grown...lol). Separate the issues here. Breast is best. That being the case, stick with it!! As far as the smoking, you're trying to quit. Awesome! Have you tried the e-cigarette? Yes, the nicotine is there, but this eliminates the smoke itself - no smell, etc. It was GREAT when my son was in the hospital for a week. Keep up your efforts, and keep feedin' n lovin' that baby! You're a good mom!
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2010