How do I not rip my hair out?

I babysit my friends 6 month old during the week. And she can be a sweet little girl, but lately she really hasn't been. My friend works awful hours so when shes home, shes ALWAYS holding the baby. like never puts her down. So when shes with me, she will scream like shes dying until shes held. I have a two year old of my own, and two dogs and there are things I need to do beside hold her. Like just a few minutes ago i took ten minutes to make breakfast while she screamed and screamed and screamed.
How do I keep my sanity?

prettypaper

Asked by prettypaper at 12:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can her mother provide you with a sling? Then you can wear the baby some to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Do you have a carrier or a sling? Makes a HUGE difference. If that's not for you, then you might just have to tell your friend it's not working. If I were her I'd rather you did that than have an unhappy situation for you and baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Get a carrier or sling.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Getting a carrier or cling might work. I had the same problem with a baby I watched for a friend. What I started doing was making sure that everything was okay, like she didn't need to be fed or changed. Then I would lay her on the floor with some toys or put her in the pack and play with some toys. I even would lay her on the bed in the other room. As time went on she realized that at my house she was not always going to be held. I know it is frustrated and you just want to scream because there were days when I would go out side and scream at the top of my lungs.

If it does not get better you might want to talk with your friend to see if she realizes this is what is going on. The last thing you want to do is ruin your friendship because of this.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If you are going to let her cry for a few minutes, which won't hurt her, try putting her in a separate room that you can close the door where it isn't so loud. As a mother of 5 there is always wanting something and I have learned to make sure that everyone is in a safe place and go to my room for a few minutes to take a break. It has been the only way that I have kept my sanity.
    mwallace1023

Answer by mwallace1023 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i am going through the same thing only its my own daughter and her dad thinks that when she starts crying she needs attention. so what i do is if i have something that has to be done i put her in a safe place her crib, one of her chairs, even the stroller(this is great cause then i can push her around while i do things). i do what i need to then i go get her for a few minutes calm her down and play with her, i also wait to do certain things till she goes down for a nap. if you can deal with it you can teach her that when she is at your house she wont get held every time she cries. My daughter knows what she can get away with me and when daddy comes home what to do to get him to give her what she wants and she is 7 months today.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 2:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have a sling you can borrow! My 1yr is pretty much outgrown it :) If you would like to try that without the cost~!
    ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 12:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2010