Having more than one baptisim

Does the bible say anything about the number of times one should be baptized? I always thought you only needed to be baptized once. I see all the time where people say they were baptized like three or four times and I just found it a little odd and really, what is the point in doing it so many times?

Amoraeterna

Asked by Amoraeterna at 12:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Many faiths accept only ONE baptism. No clue what the point is in additional ones.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Some people get baptized again to show rededication as in coming back from straying and then making a public statement about that. I have a friend that got baptized when she was little because her mom told her to and she really didn't know what it meant so she got baptized again after she had accepted Christ to show that this was the moment she did. Other than that idk.
    SkylaDarling

Answer by SkylaDarling at 12:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Only ONE baptism
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 12:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• There is only one baptism, but some get rebaptised if they think they were immersed for the wrong reasons .
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I know of some Jewish Synagogues that have their women baptised after every menstrual cycle. I presonally believe that it's not just a symbolic ritual but actually causes spiritual cleansing. I don't think the number of times you are baptised matters.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well for instance, my son was baptized as a catholic and when he was very young, as a young adult he chose (he was 15) he chose to be baptized in a Baptist church, there is nothing wrong with that.

Answer by older at 4:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• St. Paul wrote about "one Lord, one faith, one baptism". From the earliest days of Christianity, only one baptism is needed. The Catholic Church also recognizes baptism of desire (if someone dies before having the chance to be baptized) and baptism by blood (someone who has faith in Jesus as the Son of God and Savior, and gives their life for the faith before having a chance to be baptized).

During my years as a Protestant evangelical, I became convinced that I needed to be baptized again, so I did. I now believe that my baptism as an infant was valid, but that day was a powerful encounter with the Lord and a public proclamation of faith. Even though I don't believe now that it was something I had to do, that day is a precious memory and a story in itself.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Iamgr8teful explained it perfectly! Often times if someone was baptized from one denomination (for example Catholic) then converts later to another (say Methodist) then that church he/she is converting to usually requires another baptism, believing the prior baptism was not valid. But the interesting thing is that if someone were baptized as a Methodist (or another protestant denomination in which they use the triune formula Jesus prescribed) and wanted to convert to the Catholic Church, that person would not need to be baptized as the Catholic Church recognizes ONE Baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i was baptized as a baby... then again when i knew what it meant. Biblically, being baptized is just a act of showing publicly your decision to follow Christ. Once you are able to make the decision yourself, it only needs to happen once. I get why someone maybe does it more than once though, perhaps they felt they strayed from the "good path" and needed to again make a public re-commitment
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• One baptism.
    AuntErma

Answer by AuntErma at 4:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010