do you ever feel like your body needs salt?

I don't salt my food or even eat much salt but sometime i just crave salt..like i can taste it on my lips and i will go to the mexican restaurant and pour salt all over the chips and eat them with salsa...does anyone else crave salt like that? or water? or anything?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I do at times.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes sometimes I crave it.....I eat the salt off a pretzel rod like a corn on the cob, lol. A weird habit of mine when I need something salty
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i crave salt as well. i can pour it in my hand and eat it like that. I have problems with low potassium , low iron and a vitamin D deficiency
    Delilah05

Answer by Delilah05 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't say I crave it but sometimes I really enjoy it but then I feel my blood pressure rising and it doesn't sound as appetizing. I crave ice water all the time though even if I'm not thirsty.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't ever salt my food either, but sometimes I crave chips... I guess b/c they're salty.

When my cycle is ending I crave chocolate!
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• yes. i eat bouillion cubes (only mccormicks the generic ones don't taste as good) sometimes when that happens. BUT

Salt regulates water retention in the body through the kidneys and adrenal glands. It is high in iodine, which is a mineral needed for thyroid function If you are craving salt, it may be your body asking for more iodine or potassium, or pointing to a fluid imbalance.

figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• yes
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2010