How do you deal with a relative who is rude, mean and jealous of you?

I have a cousin who I used to be very close with, but lately I cringe when I see her number on my caller ID. She treats me like crap, swears at me when she doesn't get her way, ask for favors constantly, is jealous of me being a SAHM, nags me, hangs up the phone on me, talks about me behind my back, etc.
I'm sick and tired of being too nice!

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 1:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Simple do not answer the phone. She needs to have some respect for you first. Then you can decide if you want to talk with her. Good Luck to you. HUGS!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Switch phone numbers and don't give her the new one. Life is too short to deal with bitches.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Cut her out of your life. Don't answer the phone or respond to any kind of communication (text, email, fb, etc.). I agree with the PP, life is too short to deal with bitches.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• And you put up with her treatment, why?

not to be rude, but the reason she acts this way is that you let her get away with it.

Just be honest with her and tell her you don't appreciate the way she speaks to you, that you don't like her swearing at you when she calls, and that you're no longer going to tolerate the behavior.

If she starts being nasty or swears at you, say that you'll talk to her when she can be civil and hang up.

And KEEP doing it until you get the results that you want. Stick to your guns or she'll just keep walking all over you!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• DON'T ANSWER. Don't see her. That simple.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• just don't answer anymore
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have a sister in law who is jealous of me. She is my husbands brothers wife. I got pregnant with my first baby at 15 she told us to have an abortion/adopt the baby. 2 months later she was pregnant and was excited for us as well then. 2 years later I am pregnant with my 2nd baby and got pregnant right away with my next 2 and there is a 2 year gap between my last 2. We can afford it, have our own house, no state assistance, and I am a SAHM going to school online to become a social worker. I have 1 year left. She is always jealous of me being able to concieve easily. It took her 3 years to concieve another baby. Its not my fault that we can get pregnant easily and she can't, but she was always saying that I was a bad mother and it pissed me off. My husbands side of the family doesn't like her at all. I stopped talking to her and going over to her house. She isn't worth my time. I finally wouldn't allow her to get to me.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You really don't need to say things. You should know how to react about anyone. Perhaps she is only looking for a friend and you perhaps led her to believe you were one, but even you had times that she couldn't handle you. I believe life is a 2 way street. You get back what you dish out.
    Anonymous

• I cut ties. My sister is that way. She's jealous of me in almost every aspect of my life. When she doesn't get her way she lashes out and is extremely spiteful. She blames all her "problems" on everyone else, but her situation is of her own making. At this point, we don't talk. I got tired of the "woe as me" dramatic BS that was a constant with her, I also got tired of her getting spiteful and mean during her temper tantrums.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I see that you said you have caller ID ...when she calls don't answer...simple as that...My little sister is the same way and expects everyone to jump when she needs something...I stopped answering her calls and told her that I have a life and hers is not my problem...she is 31 yrs old and still expects everyone to pay for her making horrible choices in all areas of her life.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010