What are the differences between a marriage and a domestic partnership?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Legally speaking or relationship wise?
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Legally speaking.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It really depends on the state.. Not all states recognized domestic partnerships, just like not all states recognize "Common Law" marriages.

Here in Oregon.. A couple can legally file for a domestic partnership, and have it notarized. This is mainly/and usually done for insurance benefits. Oregon is one of the few states that allows for domestic partners to be on the same health insurance policy &/or covered by employer paid health insurance. That's about it.. A domestic partnership does not legally entitle one to the same benies that they are entitled to through marriage..ie: social security benies (mainly) and other federal benefits. Federal law does not recognize domestic partnerships anymore than it recognized common law.

Cont.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I advise any of my friends who are opting for a domestic partnership instead of marriage to also do the following things: Have will drawn up(signe/notarized) naming each other as executors/recipients, have a living will drawn up giving each other the legal ability to make medical decisions for the other, have each other made as signers on bank accounts/financial accounts (in case of death, accident..etc), make sure both names are on properties that you legally want to hand over to the other in case of death, have a palimony agreement drawn up (and notarized) laying out who gets what in case of the dissolution of the relationship..

A domestic partnership has to take extra steps to legally cover both partners for things like: death, ailment, dissolution..etc.. That a regular married couple doesn't have to take (though most should anyway.. just in case).

But again. It all depends on the state in which you live...
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• if you have a child when married both have equal rights
    if NOT married, the mom gets all rights until father files in court for his rights (in all but two states)

this is one difference i found out just recently
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I am my husband's NOK, I am entitled to his SS when I am retirement age, I am entitled to alimony if we divorce, I have his last name, we have equal rights to our children...none of that would be so if we were not legally married.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2010