Is this normal for a 5 yr old? Cuz I'm ready to pull out my hair!

Alright, so I watch 2 little girls. A 2yr old and a 5yr old. The older one is only there in the mornings because she takes the bus to school but until then, she's all mine. lol I get there at 6:20 am and take her to the bus stop at 8:50. I also take my own little girl (2yrs) with me so essentially I get 3 girls ready in the mornings.
EVERY morning I have to fight this little girl to brush her teeth. I know her parents don't really ever make her do it; all of her teeth are silver or fake. She's 5. I mean it's a full on struggle every morning. I know if her parents aren't making her then I should let it go but SOMEONE should teach her to do it. Her tantrums kill me. On the ground, kicking, punching and screaming for 5 -10min or more. And it's not only her teeth. It's school, shoes, toys (banned from school here), jackets... you name it!
I get stressed out! It isn't fair to my DD or the other girl to have to listen to that!

MayMommaToBe

Asked by MayMommaToBe at 1:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try a behavior chart. A smiley when each step is done with out more than 3 warnings. If she gets X number of smiley's then she can get some sort of 'prize' A special breakfast? or small toy?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Your house, your rules! Tell her and her Mom that. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well if you want to know if it's normal, obviously no. I would talk to her parents about her behavior and ask them if she gives them such a hard time doing everything that is asked (like normal daily activities) If she can't do normal activities without throwing a huge fit everyday- then there's a problem. Personally, if her mom says she's always like that.. I wouldn't be babysitting her without a raise!
    mountainMum

Answer by mountainMum at 1:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Oh my gosh, it's her house. Her parents don't really use discipline. I've asked what I could do one time (before school started, she would pick on her little sister... like if her sister had something she wanted, she'd pinch her and take it away) and I was told she could sit on the couch and watch tv. WTH? Really? That's a reward, not a punishment.
    I think the chart is a great idea except I have no desire to spend my money on a special prize for this little girl. I know how terrible that sounds but she's mean to her sister and mean to my daughter and I truly feel like I just don't want to deal with her anymore. I hate saying that because I've been in Child Care for 10 years, and for 3 of those years, I was a director. I am good at my job and what I do but it's different in a home setting I guess. I don't know why this one gets to me. She's not the first difficult one I've worked with by any means. ????
    MayMommaToBe

Comment by MayMommaToBe (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i don't think it's normal to go threw all of those struggles..i would talk to her mom n dad and try to find a way to get her to do these things for you..if it becomes way too much for you to handle i think i would stop babysitting her and let the parents know why..it's not fair to you or your daughter..best of luck to you ... ;)
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It doesn't have to be big to be a big deal to her. It could be chocolate pop tarts or a dollar store toy. I know you are tired of dealing with it I totally understand but think about it this way. How much good would you be doing for her by setting rules and giving her stability and accountability. You have the ability to do a great thing here. but of course it's your choice. You have to do what's best for your own child as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You're totally right, But_Mommy (funny name!) and that's why I haven't left yet and why I still make her brush her teeth. It's worth a try... maybe I can give it a shot. I just don't want her to start to think she's going to be rewarded for doing every day activities... I'm thinking her mom spoils her as it is. Like her sister had mcdonalds for lunch yesterday and when she got home I guess she threw another tantrum cuz she didn't have it so that's what she got for dinner. But just her.
    I think I'll give the chart a shot and if it doesn't work, I'll just have to say goodbye.
    Thank you ladies!
    And thanks for letting me know that No, It IS NOT normal... I was starting to worry about my own daughter... Although she loves brushing her teeth...
    MayMommaToBe

Comment by MayMommaToBe (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It sounds like the child is running the home instead of her parents. I think the little girl needs counseling, and I agree that you should not babysit her anymore.
    naynayluv

Answer by naynayluv at 1:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well, this is tough since she is not yours. I don't think not brushing teeth is healthy, BUT I don't think having to wrestle a child to the ground to get teeth brushed is any healthier.
    Maybe a trip to the library to find books on dental car would help her. Do you allow her to brush her own at first? That is what we do, then I go over them to make sure the harder spots got done.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• lol I don't wrestle her to the ground. And she does brush her own teeth and I usually have to go over them because she doesn't actually brush. She VERY LIGHTLY puts the paste on her teeth with the brush and kinda swishes it around. It's just that her parents don't make her brush her teeth. Ever. And I've come to grips with this. I think after today, it's not a problem anymore because our hours are changing and I won't be there till after she goes to schoo. But i'll have to pick her up... I'm just not looking forward to what fights are coming next.
    MayMommaToBe

Comment by MayMommaToBe (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010