How long would you stay with your partner? adult content

Hypothetically speaking, how long would you stay with a domestically abusive partner if you had children by him?

Creating78

Asked by Creating78 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• abuse rarely starts with a punch to the face
    abuse is spoon feed to a person slowly. it is justified, increases slowly, and wears down on the abused, so more is excused again and again, if it gets to a punch or hit it is then obvious, but mental abuse is not so apparent and as it is given out it is also excused

it never is abuse right from the start, control is abuse and control is spoon feed, sppon feeding takes some time before a person can puke it back out
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Me personally.

My child and I would be out the door the very first incident of abuse/violence.

Now. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to work with my husband, IF he was willing to work with me/go to therapy/ect..ect.. I would be more than willing to work with my husband IF he was willing to admit he had a problem, accept it, seek help for it and actively work to change the behaviours.

However. If he were not willing to do those things. I would divorce him at the first incident. I would never tolerate the type of treatment of myself, and I would never stand for my child to live in a violent, volatile, home.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'd be out the first time it happened
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Not one minute after the first "incident".... Children will only get damaged by witnessing domestic abuse, and there's no way I would stand for it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That's bad for the kids. And he'll probably start abusing them too. So I would not stay. At all.
    rain408

Answer by rain408 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would take our kids and run i did not have kids with the man that tried to abuse me though my frying pan hangs on the wall as a trophy my dh thinks it is great.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• One incident would be it. I'd be gone.
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 1:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The first moment their was any kind of abusive behavior! 8 out of 10 times they do abuse the kids later on. Its not heavy for you or your children to stay!!!!!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would be packing my bags and running as soon as he got abusive
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Honestly, I would leave right away. There are shelters and places that will take you and your kids in. But that would be the FIRST step. Then I would ask if he was willing to go to counseling. But leave first to show you mean business. And if he does do counseling but then 'slips' and does it again, say PEACE OUT!
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 1:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2010