Have your ever grounded your kid on Halloween?

My son has been absolutely defiant for at least two years now. We kept giving him chances to avoid grounding him on Halloween but it didn't work out. Now he has to come with us when we take his sis trick or treating but he doesn't get to trick or treat. Is this a cruel punishment or do you think it is ok? I feel really bad about it but we are out of ideas.

mamakat13

Asked by mamakat13 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it's too cruel. What did he do?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have not, but I sure the hell would. Trick or treating is a privelage, not a right
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No, and I'm not going to. They only get to go trick or treating once a year so I wouldn't ground them on Halloween, their bdays, Xmas or easter.. Or the 4th of July or on Thanksgiving. I'm a softy when it comes to holidays..
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 1:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I came close to being grounded on Halloween once for playing a prank. My dad talked my mom out of it since he thought it was funny.
    Anonymous

• He's gotta learn one way or the other, right? Halloween is definately not a right. I think it also depends on what he specifically did. Like he can't do something a month before and have it taken away. I don't think that would get the point across. It depends on his age too.
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 1:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• does he still get to dress up?
    what did he do?
    I believe in keeping your word when it comes to threatening punishments, but I admit I'd be conflicted on this one too.

but when in doubt, I think it's best to keep your word with what you threaten.
    Anonymous

• How about a therapist? Can the school provide one? I can't really answer if excluding him is right or wrong since I don't know all the details. But if excluding him in a family outing hasn't worked previously it probably wont work again. If anything I would not rub it in his face and make him watch his sister have fun. Instead just make him stay home with you or your husband. But I really would seek Professional help if it is really that bad. Good luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It's just going to make him hate you.
    Anonymous

• this could backfire, the memory could ruin Halloween for him, or since he gets to go anyway, he may just think 'big deal'
    whenever I got punished I always figured out a way 'out of it'
    such as if I was grounded from TV, I'd just do something I'd like better.

If I wasn't allowed dessert, I'd make a fruit salad with yogurt and go on about how much I loved it!

good luck with this one!
    Anonymous

• It's just going to make him hate you.

It isn't always a parents job to be well liked. Too many parents let their kids get away with shit because they want to be their friends. I don't care if my DS tells me he hates me, it is my job to teach him how to be responsible and respectful, not to be his best friend.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010