How would you repond to someone who says "my husbands affair was the best thing that happened to my marriage"?

My cousin, (again) feels the need to compare our marriages! She has said this to me numerous times and I'm sick of hearing it. I don't know how to respond the next time she says it, cause personally I think it's BS! What would you say?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 1:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• She is in denial!

Answer by older at 1:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• ... I wouldnt know what to say... to each its own I GUESS! I can understand how she would think that. Maybe he is more loving since he made the mistake... but i dont know how she goes on everyday. I certainly wouldnt be anouncing it to the world to hear.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• "At least my husband loved me enough not to have to cheat on me to realize it!"
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Next time she says anything just say "oh keep telling everyone that, otherwise you look like an idiot for staying with him" and smile like you are kiding and walk away---she will have to shut up then. LOL
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 1:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• "Are you on crack?"
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Me personally.

I would say "I understand what you are saying". My marriage was an absolute shambles. We fought all the time, we couldn't stand to be in the same room with one another, we had NO relationship. My husband developed a drinking problem, I developed a Hell Bitch problem (lol).Then one night, he had a drunken one night stand with a co-worker. Our world came crashing down. We hit rock bottom. We had destroyed our marriage and now the symptoms of that were wrecking even more havoc. We were hit with reality in regards to the state of our marriage and a choice. Fix it, or leave it. We decided to fix it, we decided to rebuild our marriage into one we BOTH wanted. One that made us BOTH happy. It took a lot of work. A lot of hard honesty. A lot of tears. A lot of learning and growing.. In the end. Today, 16 years laters (and 25 years into our marriage) we have a better marriage than before
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would say...Good for you* im glad it made you guys stronger or whatever you think it did for ya...*and then tell her to please stop repeting the same thing all the time maybe that's how she believes it ..although i do know of a couple who said that they did not realize how much they truly needed and loved eachother after one of them had a affair..and they are happily married to this day and that was years ago..so i guess to each it's own..but there's no need for her to say this to you all the time..
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• 'good for you. I'm glad it worked out for you.'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If you think it's BS, then I would ask why she thinks that.

I've heard that before and know it to be true in some cases.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• How do you know it's BS? Do you see them interact in the intimacy of their home? You don't know.
    Unfortunately, some people put each other through pure hell before they figure out what the relationship really needs to work.
    I speak from experience.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010