Do you own a space heater?

HARRISBURG, Pa. – Authorities say they're honing in on an older model space heater as the possible cause of a fire that ripped through a central Pennsylvania row home, killing five people, including four young children.

Dauphin County Coroner Graham Hetrick says investigators are examining whether nonfunctioning smoke detectors played a part in Monday night's fire, and that windows in the Harrisburg home may have been nailed or screwed shut as a security measure.

Hetrick said Tuesday the five died of smoke inhalation, thermal burns or a combination of the two.

The victims are 49-year-old Cornelia Brooks, 4-year-old Kelli Franklin, 4-year-old Tysheen Terry, 3-year-old Deandre Terry and 2-year-old Derionn Terry.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Truth be told, I will be so glad when we move to a place that has central heat! A lot of the rentals here have gas heat, and its in such a way that I would be terrified all the time because my son likes to turn things on and off. These electric ones scare me a little but not as bad as gas! Your post is a good reminder during this time of year. I hate that such a tragedy happened but hopefully your post will keep another family safe.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No! I'm scared of them for the above reasons!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We have some of the oil filled ones...they're only four years old tho.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• so sad...
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That is so sad. We do now own an old one and the one that we have is cool to the touch so it can not catch anything on fire. Well I am sure that it can if damaged or used improperly but the chances are nil. Poor babies.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We used to but, the stress of it was too much. I am glad we are in an apt with central h/ac
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• so sad...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That's just terrible!

We have two space heaters that are the newer ones that do not get hot to the touch. Hubby's office is cold even with central heat, so he uses one. He has inadvertently left it on overnight. Grr. I was more upset about the electric bill than the potential danger, though.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Please be careful!

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• lovin please be careful!

My neighbors had one growing up and it used to freak me out! My hubby bought a new style one that looks like a fan tower..but it was too much for me (they dont even get hot to the touch! lol) I couldn't sleep..swearing it was gonn burn the house down

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010