Agree or disagree? Juliet Marillier

"There is no good or evil, save in the way you see the world. There is no dark or light, save in your own vision"

~Conor the Druid, from "Daughter of the Forest" by Juliet Marillier

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Even murder is on perspective. Almost everything has a reason behind it. What happened to them? Why did they become that way? Did they do it out of self defense? Did they go insane? So many factors go into something everyone thinks they have pegged down. When you think you know the answer behind the act you are thrown through another loop. Nothing is as easy as black and white. The world is full of grey.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 12:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If you look at a small picture I would disagree. There are evils. If you look at the world or life as a whole I can see that it is a matter of perception.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Agreed, I love this book and a lot of what it says is true. I truly believe that people are not born evil and people are not infinitely evil once they have done wrong. It is a course of bad decisions and circumstances. Anyone can have the chance to be good and even someone who was good can choose to be bad. It depends on the person and not on some negative deity. And that is my perception of that quote. You have to read the whole book to get a better idea of what the author meant.

Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 2:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You have to read the whole book to understand what the author was saying. This is just a small portion of what he said.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 2:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't know - I don't believe evil actually exists. I believe evil is only an absence of goodness, kind of like how darkness is an absence of light. And I don't believe anyone has no good in them whatsoever....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Diagree completly.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 1:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Disagree.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have to disagree. Some things are evil no matter which way you look at it... And I'm talking HUMAN evil, nothing to do with religion.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i have to disagree. sure there are times an evil thing can be seen by some as good, but the majority of the time most real evil as in fact evil.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• disagree entirely. some issues of right or wrong are definitely black and white.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010