If someone is a good mom does it really matter what age she is (within reason)?

I'm asking because I find myself to be a great mom even though I'm 18 and the mother of a four year old. Before your snap judgments get the better of you read my other 'question' for a little more info about me.

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/558416/This_isnt_a_question_Im_just_setting_something_straight

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not at all! age does not a good mother make.

Answer by older at 1:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i agree that age doesnt matter within reason. yes, younger moms require a lil more help and support sometimes, but i have seen some younger moms just florish as mothers.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 1:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• good for you, I am 24 and am due in Jan with baby 5! Me and DH are phenomenal parents, and honestly better than most of the othe old moms / parents we know!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Age doesn't matter at all!
    MummoloMom2010

Answer by MummoloMom2010 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• being older does not make you a better mother.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• AGE does not make a good mother. It does not matter what the age of the person. If she is a good mother, she IS a good mother. Period.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think age goes hand in hand with being a good mom because a big part of being a good mom is being mature enough to handle the responsibilities, being wise and experienced enough to handle certain situations, and being able to independently raise a child. I am not bashing you, but I don't see a 14-18 year old really being able to do any of that. That's not to say that all young moms are automatically bad mothers because that's not true, but I do believe that age plays a large role in being a mom.
    Anonymous

• No judgements here! I think it's better to be a young mom than an old mom. You hear about women in their 50s and 60s having kids, but are they going to be around when their child learns to drive, graduates, gets married, has the first grand child? I was a young mom and I have a great relationship with my daughters and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I was still young when I had them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm not going to automatically hate you for your own opinion but I am slightly offended because whether I'm 18 or 28 I'm still a mother and I feel my child is pretty well raised considering she is polite, considerate, well exercised, educated, strong willed, friendly, etc and she is that way because of me. I'm not at all trying to be rude to you. I'm sure it's hard to tell over a computer.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• There is no need to be offended. I never said you were a bad mom, you are obviously a good one. I just said that I do believe age has a lot to do with being a good mother because there are a lot of things a young mother cannot do for herself let alone for a child. However, raising a child to be a good person is not one of them, as you;ve proved. A good person at any age can do that. But a young mother cannot solely provide 100% for a child which to me is a big part of being a "good" mom. That does not make anyone a BAD mom! I just simply believe that age is relevant in certain areas of child rearing.
    Anonymous