Did your water break on it's own?

My first pregnancy, I lost my mucas plug, then had contractions and they broke my water at the hospital. So I'm curious to know how common it is for your water to break on it's own when labor starts. Did your break or did they do it at the hospital?

CarlyCo

Asked by CarlyCo at 1:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• broken at hospital
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Mine broke at home.... I got up off the couch, started walking to the kitchen, and WHAM! At first I thought I peed my pants, but when I just couldn't stop, I knew it was something else, heh. It was... interesting.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think only 10% experience their water breaking on it's own. My midwife broke my water after I started pushing.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• in all three of my labor's i had my water broken
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 1:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• nope the doctor broke my water at the hospital
    MummoloMom2010

Answer by MummoloMom2010 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Mine was broken both times in the hospital. My moms water broke with all 3 of her kids and my sister in-laws water broke with 2 of her 3 kids. I guess it's somewhat common in my family, but I've never experienced it.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Mine broke at home and I started contracting about 5 hours later
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 1:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think I read somewhere that 2 in 5 women's water breaks on their own, but I don' recall the exact stats. Both of my labors- the water was broken at the hospital around 5 cm. It hurt some too.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• For my first daughter it broke on it's own with my one and only natural contraction and had to be induced. For my 2nd daughter they did it at the hospital.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 1:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• 1st - it broke first and then started contractions 10 min later
    2nd - Broke at 7 cm on its own
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010