Last names? Do I have to go to court?

My daughters last name is hyphenated. We don't want that. Her Social card is her dads last name (which we want) her birth certificate is both. We aren't married. Does anybody know what the steps are going to be if we want it changed? Does it cost a lot of money? (even if it's something both of us want).

Thanks :)

Chell.o_0

Asked by Chell.o_0 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Baby Names

• This website may help..

http://www.ehow.com/how_2064108_change-birth-certificate.html

Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 2:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Contact the Office of Vital Records for your state because BC rules are different in every state.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Look up state laws. If your child's father signed the birth certificate and you want to do a name change, chances are that you are going to have to go to court and get the name change approved.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Just start using the name you want and keep it consistent. The true test is getting her a passport and I bet you can get that in the name you want with existing paper work.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Just go to your court of records and ask to have her hyphenated name changed to the permanent name you want. They have forms to fill out there for you to do that. As for the cost, that varies and I don't believe it would cost more than $50 if that. Make sure  you bring necessary paper work such as birth cert.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Thanks everybody. I have to give a different last name for everything it seems!
    Chell.o_0

Comment by Chell.o_0 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010