Are American children offered for international adoption?

We have lots of children free for adoption...do other countries ask for our unadoptable child?

surfcitymom

Asked by surfcitymom at 2:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Adoption

• American children in foster care are particularly popular with people in Canada and the Netherlands, in the last 2 years 54 American Children were adopted from the fost to adopt program. I don't know if this is still going on with the dwindling of International Adoptions and the new laws in place to protect children from human trafficking.
    American adoptions have increased, as Americans are finding that adopting in your own back yard is not a bad idea - especially price wise it is less money and the child will be covered by your state Medicaid till they are 18yrs. old, there is also a monthly "support assistance" payment to the adoptive families that is around $600.00 a month, and it is more if the child is special needs or disabled (up to $1,200) http://www.adoptuskids.org
    AmericanMOM2010

Answer by AmericanMOM2010 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I've always wondered this... we're always adopting from other countries. Do other Countries adopt our American kids?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes...we have hundreds of children that are adopted by Canadians, Germans, and the Dutch countries to name a few.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes!! There are some agencies that specialize in placing American-born babies with parents abroad.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't believe so, but I wouldn't know too much about that.
    siimply_me

Answer by siimply_me at 2:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1027/p11s01-lifp.html

Yes!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes.. However, if I'm remembering correctly (which I could be wrong.. lol) in order for a family in another country to adopt a child, the country must be a signer of the ratified Hague Treaty.. And there is only a few agencies that the government recognizes/allows/helps in regards to international adoptions of American Children.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes not sure on the details but when I was in Thailand they had comericals urging people to adopt American children.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I know of a facilitator here in CA who seems to have all international clients to adopt American children, both newborns and older. They tend to be from Europe, and as long as they have the required papers in order, and the birthmother says an international adoption is ok by her, then it can happen. It costs a pretty penny, but I wonder if adoption in some of the European countries (Scandinavia specifically) is really tough.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 9:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I've never heard this before. It's interesting.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2010