Does anyone here have an American Girl doll?

Are they worth the money ($100)? Christmas this year is going to be toned down a bit and this is going to be her big gift with a couple of smaller things. She is 5.5 yo.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I paid 139 dollers for a my size barbie thats enough for me.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• What do you mean by worth? I still have mine from when I was 6 or 7 and she's still in good condition for being played with for a few years and then sitting in the closet for many more. I guess I'm waiting to have a daughter because I can't see to part with it lol. Anyways there are a ton of accessories to buy in addition but in my opinion that's worth it because each birthday/christmas you can always get new clothes for the doll or accessories as a gift. If your daughter is pretty into American Girls and you think she'll cherish it I think it'd be worth it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My daughter got hers last year for Christmas. She does love it. It's just a doll though. Not anymore well made than any other doll. The kids know it's an "American Girl" doll and cost a lot of money. She is aware of which friends have one. If you are limited on money, you could get a few Moxie Dolls or those other cute dolls that are out. Did she ask especially for it? Does she know it's special?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If she asked for it, I would try to get it for her, if possible. If she didn't ask, I would wait. I think they are worth the money, but only if she really, really wants one. It usually ends up being a favorite toy that is played with a lot, and will become a keepsake.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Oh, wow, I didn't know they were that much now. I got one YEARS ago when i was little - a Samantha one. I don't think I'd ever pay that much for a doll, though. Not that those who do are wrong or anything, just that its not worth it to me. But I guess we'll have to wait until I have a daughter to be sure, lol. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We got Molly for our daughter 12 years ago- she is going to be 21 this year- the doll was well loved and now needs a few repairs. She has kept that one doll and given away the rest of her dolls. It was well worth the money. She recently asked for it to be repaired so she could save it for her future daughter.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 12:22 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My 7 year old is asking for one and I'm skeptical. So she is getting a practice one for Christmas. Target has 18 inch dolls for $37 with an additional outfit and a story book. The accessories are also more reasonable.
    They are called Our Generation Dolls
    mamacass260

Answer by mamacass260 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I ha2. One tha loks like my oldest dd and a Rebecca doll. I want ot get one for my youngest next Christmas she will be 4 then. THye are very quality made but if you think that she won't take care of it they have very nice dolls almost exactly lie thme at Toys R Us for $30-40. Madame Alexander and they are also very nice.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:14 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm giving my daughter a My Twinn doll, it's about the same price, give or take. They make the doll to look like the girl so she has a custom made doll that looks exactly like her, down to any birthmarks and freckles!
    unicornnymph22

Answer by unicornnymph22 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2010