how do i get her to go to sleep without it?

My 10m old daughter is off the bottle except when it is time for a nap or bed. I give her water in it then. I want her completely off the bottle soon. But she wont go to sleep on her own without it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she use a pacifier? Maybe if she could get used to just the sucking, rather than the sucking with substance. Seems like a slower way to ween her off it without too much trauma. I think it's all trial and error, though, so good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You have two choices:
    Cold turkey. Get her a blankie or a small stuffed animal and don't give her the bottle. She'll scream and cry but she will adapt. This will work for the next few months only. The more "toddler" she becomes, the more entrenched the bottle will be.
    or
    Don't worry about it. She's using a cup during the day. You don't put milk in the bottle so her teeth aren't being hurt. Wait until she's old enough to understand something like the "bottle fairy" taking her bottles away. That's usually after 2.5 years.

I choose to wait. My little girl is 27 months and still gets a bottle of water at naptime and bedtime. I'm hoping to have the "bottle fairy" or possibly Santa take them away in a few months. Right now, I'm potty training and I'm not willing to disrupt that with the stress of taking away the bottles - one battle at a time! When the bottles do go, it will be cold turkey.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• have you tried to put her down with a sippy cup of water? Other than that I don't have any advice. My daughter just turned 10m yesterday and we started to replace a bottle a day with a sippy cup...but she had never gone to sleep with any drink. The Dr told me that was a BIG NO NO and to NEVER let her go sleep while drinking. At bed time the last thing in her mouth should be the finger-brush while you brush her teeth/gums. Sorry.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• our son's not even 7 months yet and he's off the bottle and on to the Nuby sippy cup with the bottle like spout. It doesn't drip, has handles that he can grasp, and the spout is soft like a nipple but is formed like a sippy cup. best of all, it's under 3 bucks at walmart
    DLucas4108

Answer by DLucas4108 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008