Any Christians ever had an identity crisis???

Lately I feel... like I'm shifting somehow. I do not feel myself pulling away from GOD, but I feel myself disliking most Christians I come across. Not all, my family are all Christians and most of them are more open minded and treat everyone with respect...but we passed by a church with their "Gay people are going to hell" signs...and I seriously wanted to pull over and rip them a new one. How is that helping ANYTHING? It isn't furthering the cause of the church, no gay people came to Christ through their actions, and it's making anyone who had ever even considered attending a church run in the other direction. The entire situation is making me upset...not just with this issue, but with the church in general. Is God REALLY this condemning? I do not know where I fit anymore. How can I serve and love God but dislike nearly every person I meet who claims to do the same? Ugh.

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Lord says that we shouldn't judge others for we too will be judged in the same ways. So,yes, I believe that you are a Christian beacuse you've identified a church as being wrong for doing so. Nobody has the right to say bad things about others. The Lord already knows what is going on and he said that HE will discipline and repay those who do wrong and for us to just pray and keep praising his name. You're not wrong or losing your identity, if anything this is helping you keep yours as being a TRUE Christian. Pray for them, and God Bless.
    Bumble_She

Answer by Bumble_She at 2:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Like Gahndi said, "I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Your relationship to your faith shouldn't be predicated on what other people do in the name of the faith. I don't think there is a need to have an identity crisis, just a need to decide to represent Christianity in a different way. I always cringe seeing the anti-gay and other statements from churches, but I do think that those who blatantly advertise those views are the minority. Be the kind of Christian that you would like to see more of in the world, and do not let others (including the church) get in the way of that.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Thank you! I just sometimes feel like...there are no others for me to talk to because most of them have this weird hatred for gay people and certain other groups. I really do not mind gayness... I don't feel it takes away from my marriage and personally if I was going to "go after" sinners in this way...I think I'd target drunk drivers because their actions are actually potentially harmful to others. It's like a few of my in laws...they were going to boycott Target or some other store for "promoting" or supporting homosexuality..and yet they get drunk every weekend and even drove under the influence with their kids in the car! I do not relate to these people at all. I don't have an issue with anybody if they aren't hurting anyone because whether or not homosexuality is wrong or right or whatever... that is between THEM and God. It's hard for me to find others who think the way I do about things. And it sucks.
    ErinHill226

Comment by ErinHill226 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I often feel that way. God is a loving God and I don't believe He is condemning. The hateful actions of some Christians are not of God. When Jesus met the woman at the well...and the "church people" were going to stone her for being an adulteress.....Jesus was not right there with them ready to condemn and kill her! He told them "He who is without sin cast the first stone." He did not treat her with hate...he told her to "go and sin no more."
    Some Christians are very much "unlike their Christ".
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree with Freela, just be the kind of Christian that Christ would be proud of.

Answer by older at 2:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I can completely relate. I wish there was a church where we really felt at home but we run into so many closed Christian minds. I'm no where near perfect, no one is, but I think too many people have forgotten that one sin is just as bad as another and we're all in this together. I've come to the realization that I don't have religion but I do have faith. I love he Gandhi quote by the way.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• For awhile I even felt like I was losing my faith entirely...but now I think that God wants me to understand who HE really is and forget about the un-Christian things the church is doing. I've long ago decided to only base my beliefs on reading and praying and waiting for God to let me know the answers...and some things I have accepted I may never grasp. But for whatever reason I have been feeling lots of love for people that the majority of believers I know spend their time condemning... and for awhile I thought that meant I was turning from the faith. If you don't have disgust for "those sinners and their ways" then how can you claim to believe what we're supposed to believe, you know? But now I feel like maybe I'm just learning more about God's true character...and it's leading me to wish I could find other people who could actually have an intelligent discussion about things instead of spouting off the stuff we're told.
    ErinHill226

Comment by ErinHill226 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes, I have felt this way, and have even been on the receiving end of this kind of behaviour from fellow Christians.....My opinion is that people who behave this way are like the Pharisees that Jesus scolded...I have finally come to the conclusion that I, myself, have to work on myself, and that is all I can do....But I can also know when people are wrong and not participate in their actions and disagree with them....I can also side with the people they are condemning....just like Jesus did....He who is without sin may cast the first stone....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes. I like being a Christian, but for the longest time I was looking for something else, simply because I didn't like a lot of how Christians acted and a few things some churches taught. I thought "I don't want to be a part of this or raise my kids to be like that" but then I realized that I did believe in Jesus and his teachings and that I wanted to be a Christian, not any of the other things I was looking at and that I needed to be the change I wanted to see, no matter how small it is.

Amoraeterna

Answer by Amoraeterna at 4:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I kind of went through that. I found myself rejecting more and more "doctrines" of the Christian church and disagreeing with Christians around me (especially the closed minded ones). But then I realized that those people don't define my faith, I do. And so I set about to define my faith, to see where I really felt I fit in, and I found that I felt comfortable still calling myself a Christian. Granted I consider myself a Christian Universalist now, but a Christian nontheless. :)

And I agree with previous posters - its not about following the cookie cutter mold of the Christians around you, its about following what you believe Jesus would want you to do and be. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010