Boyfriend @ 10 years old

so my daughter told me a boy asked her to be his girlfriend , they just see each other at school and she knows she is not allowed on the phone without me knowing who it is. should i be worried?

Haze1961

Asked by Haze1961 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Nope. My 9 and 6 yr old sons are "dating" 7 & 9 yr old sisters. It's purely innocent and adorable in my opinion. I also have a 14 yr old son who isn't allowed at actually date for another 2 years - that's a whole different ballgame.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes you should be worried. Have you had "the talk" with her yet. Sounds like you need to start talking to her about things like boys and girls, dating sex type stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• What would your mother have told you about having a bf at the ag of ten?
    Bumble_She

Answer by Bumble_She at 2:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree with Orionsgirl....I do not have a 10 yr old yet but I have heard girls talking in my sons first grade class about how they are going to marry so and so and that they like so and so. I think its purely innocent...for now, lol
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 2:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• is the boy the same age? sounds like he is older, most boys at that young age want nothing to do with girls......I would meet the boy and see how they act together...is he touchy feely?
    I have an 11year old daughter and I told her no dating/or boyfriends until highschool....also that we have to meet and approve of him.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Nah, at that point, "boyfriend" really doesn't mean anything... They may share a snack or something, that's about it. I had "boyfriends" at that age, I don't think we even held hands, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• HAha, my son has had "girlfriends" since preschool. It is purely innocent. Don't spaz over it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would watch it and it will give u piece of mind. Kids that age sometimes like to experiment. Like roaming hands and getting to first,second ,third, & home base. Kids r more mature these days,they r developing early and they do do things early. Keep your eyes and ears open and make sure she knows she can come to u no matter what. Talk to her about what is o.k. and not o.k. as far as touching goes like nothing under clothes and not in certain areas. Let her know that she needs to tell u when bad things happen. I know it is at school,but schools,do not see everything that goes on. Also as far as not touching where they r not supposed to,they sometimes play truth or dare!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• nope. this sounds familiar to me. :)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would so no, but now a days i wouldn't take any chances.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2010