Things you don't want someone giving your child as gifts.

Is there anything you don't want anyone to ever give your child, or they have and you think (to yourself) "Why in the hell did you get that?" BTW, not trying to be ungrateful, but there have been things...

1. Decorative items. First, he's a boy. Second, he's 3. He doesn't need (or want) to decorate. Go somewhere else with your little knick-knacks.
2. Anything with little parts that takes over an hour to assemble that can be torn apart by little hands in 5 minutes.
3. Toys that can be broken down into tiny little pieces that can get lost (I did this, LOL...I didn't realize the toy came apart into so many pieces--yep, it's shelved into the closet until he's older).
4. Anything Barney. I will set this on fire if one enters my home. I'm not lying.
5. Clothes that he can't wear for another 2+ years. If he needs clothes now, he doesn't need clothes that he has to wait until 1st grade to wear. Get real.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Shopping

• There are things my kids have been given over the years that have been inappropriate over the years...I remember as a young mom asking that my child not be given stuffed animals and my mother in law bought lots of them just to be contrary....I got rid of them and it made her mad....I learned to not worry and just quietly make things disappear if I felt a need....It was the lack of respect that upset me, but I couldn't control her...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• loud toys!! i made i small list to help people buy some things my dd needs this year so we dont end up with a bunch of toys! she doesnt need 100 toys!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We are grateful for any gift that we receive. Otherwise, we don't allow toy guns in our home.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Wow, I don't really have a problem with much. I just don't like big toys that take over the playroom or loud toys.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I like pretty much any gift. The only thing I dont like is really cheap dollar store stuff that I have to throw away after a short while.

How would people know you dont want Barney stuff? Does your son like Barney?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My Son just turned 4, so things I hate and he already has received are: Giant blow up things that go inside the house (ball pits), Pop-up tents, Huge racetracks with a zillion pieces, Toy guns or water pistols that look like guns, any toy that shoots across the room, very smelly cheap rubber wheeled trucks that stink like gasoline, Gum Balls, collapsible tricycle that tips over by itself, Fisher price lawn mower with balls inside (he only pushes it around while I am on the phone)! I know there is more but I can't think of them now, I totally agree with you! :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Bratz dolls. I have threatened to decapitate anyone who buys one for my daughter, lol. They're just.... ick.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 5:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Electronics... I don't want anyone to buy him a laptop, TV, Ipod etc ... he does not get one of those until he is old enough to buy it himself.
    Little suits. He won't wear them and it is to bloody hot here.
    Barney (same thing... hhehehee)
    Anything with the Miami Dolphins on it. I won't put it on him.. so blah! :)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree with the decorative items. I also hate anything Elmo, but thankfully the kids are too old to deal with that now. I don't like anything Dr. Seuss. And no toy guns or other weapons.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Moon Sand
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010