Does anyone know why?

The war on poverty started in the 60s has not ended poverty?

Any theories?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because throwing money at a problem doesn't teach a person life skills.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

Answer by lovinangels 2 minutes ago

Or help them over come systemic barriers to self sufficiency.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Because there are too many people living above their means.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The fact is, in order for poor people to improve their status in life, they need access to better education, and better opportunities. Which does indeed take money. To accomplish that, we would all have to sacrifice a little more (most likely in the form of taxes), and the rich powerful minority isn't willing to do so.... So my theory would be pure old selfishness. And a very short term view. After all, if poor people are able to gain access to better education, they will end up with better jobs, make more money, and therefore would NOT depend on programs like welfare etc anymore....

I think it's absolutely CRAZY how much it costs to go to a decent school (both high school and college) over here... Where I grew up, you actually got money from the government to go to college (the amount depended on how much your parents made). EVERYBODY, provided they have the grades, has the opportunity to get a college education.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Um Anouck we have the same thing here it's called a Pell Grant...government funded grant that doesn't have to be paid back..They will pay for everything books and all..some even get funds for gas in their vehicles...so there ya go ..all of this boo hoo big bad Americans so selfish and greeeeeeeeeeeedy lol
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Where are you from Anouck? Does poverty exist there?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree shoveling money hasn't fixed a thing.

Anouck, your answer was so full of it I almost had to put boots on. This country was built by people that had nothing but the desire for better and the willingness to work. I grew up in poverty, but I didn't stay there...neither did my sisters. I get so tired of the boo hooing...feel sorry for me crap. If you want better go out and get it...this is one of the few countries in the world where you can.

My wealth is my wealth...not someone elses through forced taxation.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Poverty was actually on the decline when liberals decided we needed a war on it. Now too many people depend on it so they don't have to work.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The only way to end poverty is to convince people that education is the answer to getting jobs that pay more than minimum wage. Stop showing students video clips that tell them that making $75,000 is all you need per home. (that study from the 70's that was recirculated that was proven to be bogus and faulty research way back then). Tell them they can get an education and do whatever they want to do. Then, lower taxes, ease all the restrictions, and make our country business friendly. Stop telling people there are jobs "they don't want to do". Any work is honorable as long as it is legal.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree with throwing money at a problem doesn't teach people life skills, and i have noticed people on welfare and food stamps, really don't seem to want to aspire to anything, (the idea of i have them so i don't need to worry or change) i had food stamps for a month, during that month i looked my hardest for a job, when i found one, i told them i no longer wanted food stamps, thats what they were created for to "help" not to rely on, on a permanent basis. Same with welfare. Another problem is the American public is more concerned with other countries than our own, maybe its because they don't want to admit that poverty doesn't exist here in america.

"-You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    -You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    -You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.
    -You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
    -You cannot help the poor by destroying the
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 5:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010