Are the Simpson's catholic? fun

The official Vatican newspaper has declared that beer-swilling, doughnut-loving Homer Simpson and son Bart are Catholics -- and what's more, it says that parents should not be afraid to let their children watch "the adventures of the little guys in yellow."

"Few people know it, and he does everything to hide it. But it's true: Homer J. Simpson is Catholic", the Osservatore Romano newspaper said in an article on Sunday headlined "Homer and Bart are Catholics."

The newspaper cited a study by a Jesuit priest of a 2005 episode of the show called "The Father, the Son and the Holy Guest Star". That study concludes that "The Simpsons" is "among the few TV programs for kids in which Christian faith, religion and questions about God are recurrent themes."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I almost choked on my Snickers! They are so NOT Catholic. Lisa is a Buddhist. Bandgeek, I'm pretty sure Presbylutheran is right.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Haha, no they're not. What was it the producer called them? Presbylutheran or something like that?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Save me Jebus!
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101019/tv_nm/us_simpsons

But Al Jean Exec Prod told Entertainment Weekly on Monday he was in "shock and awe" at the latest assertion, adding that the Simpsons attend the "Presbylutheran" First Church of Springfield.

"We've pretty clearly shown that Homer is not Catholic," Jean said. "I really don't think he could go without eating meat on Fridays -- for even an hour."

In December 2009, the Osservatore Romano described the show as "tender and irreverent, scandalous and ironic, boisterous and profound, philosophical and sometimes even theological, nutty synthesis of pop culture and of the lukewarm and nihilistic American middle class."

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have never seen a "confessional" episode...I have seen one where they were at the "Springfield Community Church".. So, I'm gonna say NO ~till that episode.. ;oP
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• They're not Catholic...their pastor is MARRIED, to a woman, and not to God!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Praise Jebus.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Wasn't there an episode where Bart went to Catholic school and was being converted by a cool young priest and Marge was very upset by it? She had a dream that she went to WASP (white Anglo-Saxon Protestant) Heaven and Bart and Homer went to Catholic Heaven... Am I nerd for knowing this?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well, the Jesuits are known to be a very liberal order.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2010