Tick population exploding!

Is "rose geranium" really an effective repellant? I am using those expensive Frontline chemicals on the pets but still finding ticks. I been reading lots of websites and see that people down south have a LOT more ticks but no one seems to be freaking out about it -- don't you have Lyme disease down there?

Whimsee

Asked by Whimsee at 3:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pets

• I hate hate hate those things. I too use frontline and still find them on my dog (in the summer months). Some years they're just out of control, other's not so much. I am sorry, I don't have advice, I just feel what you're going through.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have guinea hens and use diatomaceaus (sp?) earth and borax around the dog runs and in the animal pens. I'm in SC and haven't seen a tick all year ~ on the animals or on us. In spite of the flea complaints I've only seen a few of those all summer as well. I know it's been bad this year because even people with no pets have had flea infestations, but what I use works for us.

I do NOT use any of the flea products and haven't in over 5 years, only the items listed above. I do use the Borax in and out of the house when I see fleas. If you get the DE you have to make sure it is FOOD grade, not the swimming pool stuff.

The other thing I've used for ticks is garlic tabs and brewers yeast added to the dog food (they eat the tablets like a treat). I do feed raw meat/bones to both the cats and the dogs as well ... it makes my vet a bit nuts but they are all very healthy so he admits I must be doing something right lol.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm going to have to try the DE and borax !! I use Diazanon all through the yard where the dogs are and it has worked really well for the past couple of years. We just moved to a new house though with a much larger yard, so I'm going to need something a little less chemical and more efficient !
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 22, 2010