Working Mothers - If you lost your job would your family be able to make it?

I may loss my job and I do not know how quickly I could get another one and I am scared.

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 3:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Start cutting back now, Save every extra dime that you can right now. It is the hardest thing to go through.
    DeBee13

Answer by DeBee13 at 2:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Absolutely not.... Especially not right now. My fiance quit his job to go back to school, so right now I'm the sole breadwinner. Hopefully once he finishes, he'll be able to get a better paying job, but until then, it's stressful.

I hope everything works out for you....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We would make it, but it would be tough. Make sure you figure in your cost of working - daycare, commuting costs, eating at work, your work wardrobe. You might not be out as much money as you think.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i have not worked full time since march and we r making it might not have the extra stuff right now but we r making it comfortably have been working as sub here and there and going to school
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 3:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes, but it would be a big change.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No, I have to be working. I would be looking at new jobs right now if I were you.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• NOPE! single working mother. That is all I have to say!
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We could make it, but every situation is different. We have made sure that we very little or no credit card debt, we made sure our house payment would be low enough to afford with just one income. We also have always bought used cars so we have no car payments. All of these things were done and calculated so if we only had one income we could still pay our bills. It would be very, very tight but we could manage. If you are working now and have alot of credit card debt, my suggestion would be to pay as much of it down as you can so that when you don't have a job you won't have as big a payment. And of course there are things you can do to save money at the grocery store. Coupons, planning and preparing meals can save ALOT. I found that if I planned my meals for the whole week (including using leftovers) and then went to the store I didn't spend nearly as much money as trying to "figure out' what to make each day.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Nope. Not at this moment. We'd be in the soup line at the very least.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Absolutely since I am a SAHM /WAHM I pay all the bills now, and he pays the mortgage (in New Jersey) we have actually talked about JUST THIS, but we would just kick the business up a level and be more than fine...it pays well to work at home for yourself!
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2010