How do I deal with them?

My husband's sisters buy my son way too much stuff. For my shower, they practically bought my entire register! While I appreciate their generosity, they don't have the finances to be spending a lot of money on my child. I tried to tell them I really don't need anything for him right now so they started "buying for the future". I don't want to save a bunch of things for "someday" when I might need them! I also have 2 sisters and a mom who want to buy my son things. And then what's left over for me? When I tried to talk to them about it, I got told "You really can't stop us, we'll do what we want". HELP! Any advice as to how to make them slow down?

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Their must be something your other family members can buy that they did not buy. Why don't you get people to put money in a college fund for you baby.

Answer by louise2 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The college fund is a great idea. You could ask that thay contribute to that so the money really goes to a future need.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I never turned down FREE stuff. Especially if it is new.  For my kids.  Just say "thank you".  One day people will stop buying your kid/s stuff.   You other family can buy stuff later  for your baby.

Answer by louise2 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• But I have too much! Its almost wasteful because I can't possibly use it all before he outgrows it. And how do I tell my mom at birthdays & christmas not to get him anything?
    hootie826

Comment by hootie826 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• eBAy!! New baby items? Are you kidding me? Now you can be the SAHM and still be bringing in some "egg money". That's what I would do with relatives that couldn't stop giving. Or in another case, tell them how dog tired you are and how much you'd love a massage or a pedicure, and have them buy YOU a gift certificate! Talk about a win-win :-)
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010