My hubby doesnt want his family at our DD birthday party?

I was talking to my hubby about our DD's first birthday its a few months away but i like to think ahead. he said he didnt want any of his family invited cuz they are trashy and wont bring gifts. his parents live in FL so they wont be here but his 2 sisters and his cousins and aunts and uncles live here in town. they are not the cleanest people or the richest so he doesnt want them mixing with my family. i thought maybe i could have 2 birthday parties so the families dont mix that way he is happy and so that they can celebrate with us too. what do u think?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "They're Trashy and Won't Bring Gifts" .. Now I can understand thinking low of someone based on their lifestyle, but what does gifts have to do with anything? A birthday is a celebration of the child's birth, not a greedy way to extort presents from family and friends. With that said, if he doesn't want them there then you either go ahead and have two parties or don't invite them. If you decide not to invite them then have him explain to them why. I think it's rude to not invite people just because they're not the cleanest or richest. They're family. He's clearly ashamed of them and if that's the case then he can let them know why he doesn't want them there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I've done 2 parties. It's fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You can probably get away with having two small parties. Honestly, she won't remember either of them; my daughter is 4 next month and doesn't remember her first birthday party (even though I remember having an awesome time). Don't go too overboard with it and don't expect anything from anybody. Doing this you'll actually be surprised and appreciate if people do bring something.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Why dont' you talk to your DH and find out what he would like to do. If he wants to have a separate party with his family, I say go for it, we've done that before. However, if he doesn't want his family there because he doesn't want to be around them, or around your child, then don't. Find out if he is comfortable with it before you go ahead with a second party.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• yeah he is ashamed of his family but it doesnt bother me i think he is just being a jerk and believe me he will deal with them!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• 2 parties sound great and i bet your daughter will love it...what kid don'y want to have 2 birthdays lol
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 4:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Why can't you just respect his wishes?
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 5:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010