my test for down syndrome came back border line..

has anyone's test come back like this i'm going to see a Doctor that deals with more case like this but im kind of worried

liljess09

Asked by liljess09 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mine came back like that too, but my daughter is a beautiful, healthy 7 year old with no problems. We went to see a specialist after the test came back that way, and he did a detailed ultrasound and found that everything looked pretty normal. False alarms are pretty common with those tests--your baby is likely just fine :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• did you get amnio or AFP testing. If it's AFP testing those come up positive all the time, it really doesn't mean anything, it just means they check further into it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If you want, you can go read my journal about this here.

Mine came back saying I had a 1/20 chance of my DD having DS, and everything turned out fine. I suggest you relax as much as possible, do whatever research you can to help make you more comfortable about it, and just wait until your appointment.

FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• it was a blood test
    liljess09

Comment by liljess09 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• All of those tests have an outrageously high amounts of false positives. I wouldn't worry too much. Wait for an ultrasound and there are indicators that the doctors can look for.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That's Alpha Feta Protien levels. That test isn't totally accurate.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Those tests just come back positive to let you know there's a chance. You can do more testing to find out if your baby actually has DS or not. My aunt's came back positive. Her son doesn't have DS. You just never know.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Those tests are not conclusive. They're only a suggestion that your child MIGHt have it, even if it comes back positive. They test for the cells that show a possibility, but the test itself cannot determin a definate "Yes" or "No". The only way you're going to find out for sure is to give birth.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Those tests are definitely not conclusive, and the AFP test especially gets a lot of false positives. The only way to know for sure (before the baby is born, that is) is to have an amnio...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2010