I need some lady opinions, please (about 2 year old's and body parts): adult content

Last night I was taking a bath with my two year old (DD), which we do often, typically at least once a week, and she (for the first time) grabbed my breast and said, "Boobie!!" And laughed about it. (She was breastfed, but not solely and only til 9 months, and I think she got the word "boobie" from her dad). So I told her, "Yea, that is mommy's boobie. All girls have bobbies. Where are your boobies?" Then I changed the subject and said, "And where are your arms.." and that went on for a bit. Well, after we got out, she was still undressed, went to the living room, pointed at her chest and told her dad, "Daddy, I a girl, so I have bobbies. See my boobies?" And he FREAKED OUT. He told her that she needed to put clothes on, she shouldn't be showing anyone her boobies, etc. I was shocked that he was so mad about it. He told me he doesn't want her to think that is ok, etc. I thought, "She's two. Why are you freaking?"

Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your husband overreacted

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree that his reaction was completely over the top... It's not like she's running around in public flashing people, and she's only 2 years old! She shouldn't be taught to be ashamed of her body, that will only lead to self esteem issues. Once she's a little older, sure, teach her that certain things are private, and shouldn't be shown in public, but at this point, it really seems a bit excessive...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• he is a guy they do not see things the way we do my 3yr old did the same thing but she didnt show her dad she showed my grandpa lol he didnt freak out and like said shes 2 just talk with her and tell her that its not appropriate in certain places and so on
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 3:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Men are funny like that. Just tell him to chill out. She is two, not 16.

Answer by louise2 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• He needs to loosten up. She's TWO for heaven's sake! She's just learning what body parts are called, it's not like she's trying to get attention with her breasts, she was trying to show daddy what she had learned.

I'd have a talk with him and explain that his reaction is going to make her resent her body, or feel that it is shameful. ANd it's not! Try to make him understand that it's not bad for her to know her body parts. Children who know their body parts are less likely to be abused!

My 2 year old does the same thing (only she calls breasts "nursin" lol). She points when she has her diaper off and says "bagina" and "butt" lol. It's good for them to learn these things, they have to some day! And little kids can't tell what's inappropriate. He should have been more calm and said "Yes, sweetie. Boobies. And they are private, right? W e don't show strangers."
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think your husband overreacted, but I can understand where he is coming from. There are a lot of creeps out there, and he was probably just worried about her showing her boobies to other people. A more appropriate response would have been something along the lines of "Yes, those are your boobies. But not everyone is aloud to see them! They are private.. etc"
    Mom2Logan092310

Answer by Mom2Logan092310 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Overracted, but understandable. Something about daddy's little girls make them go crazy abou stuff like that
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree with arenad, just had to add to, my 2 year old ds started pointing out 'mommy's boobies' and points to them..and then 'bodi's boobies' lol he points to his chest, pretty funny :)
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• yeah your hubby over reacted
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 4:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Are you making this up?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010