Did you get a tax cut under President Obama?

It is not a rhetorical question. At Pig Pickin’ and Politickin’, a barbecue-fed rally organized here last week by a Republican women’s club, a half-dozen guests were asked by a reporter what had happened to their taxes since President Obama took office.

“Federal and state have both gone up,” said Bob Paratore, 59, from nearby Charlotte, echoing the comments of others.

After further prodding — including a reminder that a provision of the stimulus bill had cut taxes for 95 percent of working families by changing withholding rates — Mr. Paratore’s memory was jogged.

“You’re right, you’re right,” he said. “I’ll be honest with you: it was so subtle that personally, I didn’t notice it.”

Few people apparently did.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• But...but... Obama is a socialist marxist communist who takes money from hard working people to give it to the no good welfare slackers, what are you talking about????

*note, that was sarcasm*

Personally, my refund was about the same (actually, slightly higher) than it had been previous years. My insurance rates haven't changed either. Go figure.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The Healthcare Bill is deficit neutral

OMG I nearly spit my dew out on that one.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• sweet, you must have forgotten. grlygrlz, like me is an equal opportunity hater when it comes to the spending. We have always hated it...we just haven't always been on cafemom.

No wonder people didn't notice...what was it...$13 per paycheck....whooptie damn do! Some two income families found they had to pay half of it back when they filed their taxes.

I didn't see a tax cut. Mine went up significantly because we just barely made it into the next higher tax bracket. I am truly worried about what they will be if the rates go up in January. It might mean someone loses a job and the rest have to pick up the slack.

It's all good though............Obama mmmm mmmm mmmm is president!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No tax cut, my salary went down, and it isn't because of the war. It is because of the policies that Clinton put in place that has led us to this place. You know Clinton, the pres. between the Bush's that pushed NAFTA and let's think now............hmmmm..............the legislation that forced banks to be politically correct and loan to just everyone instead of businesses and lend to only those who were financially sound. Yes girls, the NY Times published and article that names the 25 people who are responsible for this mess and Clinton is number 1 (GWB is like number 15). We are smack dab in the middle of democrat economic policy melt down!!!!!!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

~ You might want to re-read the REVISED CBO and Medicare reports.. Not too mention, Sebelius even admitted she cannot guarntee that.. Remeber ole Nancy Pelosi one of your Democratic Leaders in all of her glory, "have to pass it to see what is in it"... THEY LIED.. You believed them.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes I knew this. According to the article and mothers on CM they think he raised are taxes, they don't even realize that 40% of the stimulus went to tax cuts.

Who is going to pay for the Stimulus and ObamaCare? Who is going to pay for the projected cap and trade bill? Afterall, Obama promised to cut the national deficit in half by the end of his term.... Soooooo, how will that happen, given all of his spending? you know, the spending on shovel ready jobs that do NOT exist. the spending on bridges for turtles.  Disc golf courses.....Tax breaks for "green" businesses that have brought about challenges of fraud and waste... Ohh and don't forget the construction signs... So glad stimulus bought those construction signs..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Who is going to pay for the WARS ? Prescription program?

Which is why I said EARLIER.. We cannot even pay for the programs we CURRENTLY have in place.. How can we afford to add more? 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You want to cut education, and veterans Affairs, who takes care of our soldiers. That's nice.

And again mommom you show your lack of intelligence. Grly gave you a good list but you deflect and deny. Most of these programs spend more on waste than on what they were set up to do. Waste as in too many pencil pushers sitting at desks being lazy because they are protected by a union and earn twice as much as the average american worker. When they do cut programs they cut the boots on the ground yet continue to keep the waste behind the desk. THAT needs to change.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Nope and my cost of living is up all the way around.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Our taxable incomes will soon go up when the cost your employer pays on your insurance gets added to our w2's as well.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010