Is it OK to skip Christmas gifts for extended family this year, if you are out of a job?

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 3:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• Yes! And they should understand!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We stopped years ago. Just let them know so they don't get you anything. We just buy for the kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't just skip them. Instead, do a card or something, explaining the situation. Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes and they will understand. A card is always a cheap nice way to still say Im thinking about you on the holidays without spending the money of a gift if you feel the need to do something. Christmas is more about love and family ..not gifts.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We do a grab bag and just pick one name out of a hat then have a set monetary limit to spend. But if you simply cant do it then let them know in advance so they don't buy you anything and feel bad later that they embarrassed you.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• most defiantly. They should understand. Maybe get them a card?
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 3:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Sure. We don't buy for extended family and haven't for years. The first few years we were married I bought for my family and hubby's because I always had a family party with my family. His family doesn't do that so they all treated me like I was showing off by getting them gifts.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Of course.
    We only buy gifts for those we see during the Holidays. For my immediate family we choose names, so that we're not breaking the bank buying for everyone. For my In-Laws it's MIL, FIL, BIL, SBIL, SSIL, and soon to be SIL. Which can get rather pricey. But I don't buy for aunt's, uncles, cousins, etc.

If you are out of a job NOBODY should even ask you for gifts, let alone you feel the need to buy them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• we never buy for extended family! and they should understand!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• How old are your kids? I would have the kids make cards for all the extended family, and include some recent photos.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010