She's that kid in the store

So my 2.5 yr old child as turned into that crazy screaming kicking kid at the store when they don't get the toy she wants. On multible different times me or my boyfriend have had to carry her out like a sack of potatoes while she screams and kicks like crazy.... every on in the store stops what they are doing to stare at us. I know I've done some things in the past to not help this by just buying something for her so she won't have a fit, but latly I haven't but yet it's been happening all the time..... any advice on what else I can do so she won't be that crazy kid in the store?? Please don't be rude about what I should of been doing long ago. I need advice on what I should do now, thanks!

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let her carry a snack with her. It will keep her occupied.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I am with you. My daughter is 3 and does the same exact way and I blame myself because I use to buy things so she doesnt have that fit. I am still struggling with that but she is getting better. Before I walk into the store I tell her mommy is only getting x,y,z and mommy does not have money for toys today and I would realy like it if you behave for me today. Most of the time this works if I dont speak to her before we walk in then a fit is guaranteed.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My dd is about the same age and she gets to man the list while we shop. I give her the list (as well as some extra paper) and a pen (that she ONLY gets when we shop, she has crayons and what not at home, but the pen is special for shopping only). And she gets to tell me what is next on the list. Of course she can't actually read it, but it is a great way to help her be distracted from the toys and candy and such, AND it keeps her involved. She uses most of the time drawin on the list, but hey, that ok!

Good luck! And be firm! If you give in now, the behavior will never change!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• First off, don't let the stares get to you... I freely admit that before I had my son, I probably looked at somebody sideways thinking "get that damn kid under control", but since having him, when I see something like that, I just sympathize. EVERY kid goes through that at some point, so you're not alone! Personally, I'm a big fan of time outs... anywhere, any time. Whenever my son starts acting up, I give him a warning, and when he continues, I put him in time out. Sit him down right in the aisle, if need be. Yes, people have looked at me funny, but who cares? He hates being ignored, and quickly figured out he wasn't going to get anywhere acting like that. It was embarrassing at times, and frustrating, but at this point, he behaves in public, so it was worth it...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Put your foot down about not buying her the toy she wants. Stop reacting to it (yelling at her, etc.) and she'll realize that when you don't react, she'll have to find something else to do to get your attention.

When you said that your boyfriend carries her like a sack of potatoes, I saw my husband. He does the same thing with our daughter when she acts this way. She's at the age where she'll tell you what she wants but doesn't always listen.

Try giving her options. You can say, "If you stop throwing a fit now, we'll have a bed time story (or something) tonight for you being a good girl."
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Sounds like it just comes with the territory of having a 2.5 year old. All I can suggest is buying and reading the book "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" by Dr. Karp. He is awesome.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 4:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My son had two really bad insidents, well I took away what he was whinning or tantrumming about. This last time it was that he wanted a toy by didn't get one, so he would't stop whining and kicking in the store, so ever since then he has not gotten a new toy period, and when he asks for one, I tell he nope because of the way you acted in target.... Since then he has not acted up in the store, so far
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Why is she having the fits? Is it that she is bored and wants to go home? Or is it when she asks for something? If it's because she bored bring some toys or books for her to look at to keep her occupied. If it's becasue she wants you to buy her something, then keep doing what you are doing. Just warn her once when she starts and if she doesn't stop immediately take her out and home. I know it's hard becasue people are looking but I can tell you when I see parents take their kids right out when they start their fits I really commend them for doing it. It may take some time but she will start to understand. Just be consistant with what you do if you even give in once then your back to square one.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I used to give my child the list but also a picture of what we needed to buy like milk, bread eggs etc. And if there was any fit throwing, we would leave immediately and she would get nothing for the rest of the day. I would remind once before we got into the store, and then if she was good, she may pick a sticker at home for her chart.
    carolhas2kids

Answer by carolhas2kids at 4:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree with Tam. Being a parent of a child with autism, meltdowns can happen on less than a moment's notice with my son, and usually over the smallest thing~ strong perfume from the detergent aisle, or a toy he wants, etc. Before we go to the store, I tell him what we are buying and let him read the shopping list for me. So far, so good. If she starts going into a tantrum, remind her that you had discussed things beforehand, and try to remember to remain calm and use a calm voice. Good luck,Hon!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010