But Jesus COULDN'T have been human AND without sin... right?

So from what I understand of Christianity from all my years trying to be one, is that one of the main tenents is that God sent Jesus, who was the Perfect Lamb, to die for our sins. I get that. It also states that he had to be pure in order for it to work... got that too. And that he was totally, 100% free of sin. That's where I get confused.

Part of human nature is to sin. We can't help it. We get jealous, we have sexual thoughts before marriage... these are things we can learn to control, but that control comes with practice... it is part of our nature, governed by hormones that we are born with and cannot control.

So... was Jesus human, and therefore sinful until he learned to control it, or was he inhuman or born with a disability like a missing hypothalamus or something?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christianity teaches that Jesus and his mother, Mary were born without Original Sin (the sin we inherit from the fall of our first parents, Adam and Eve). Mary was "set apart" for this purpose and Jesus was also fully divine. What you described, sinful thoughts, etc. are not sins, but temptations, and being human, Jesus was tempted in every way but did not sin. Some people mistake this for meaning that Jesus was perfect . But no, he had to learn, etc....just like we did...and he made mistakes (not the same as sin)....Sin is knowing that something is morally wrong and doing it anyway....mistakes are based on not knowing....temptations are also not sins...giving into temptations are sin....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Are WE sinful....yes! Without a doubt, but train a child in the way he/she should grow up, and he/she will NOT DEPART from it.
    Jesus was trained up from childhood by a virgin mother who did not get pregnant by a man who was human. He was in the womb by way of the Angel Gabriel saying to her you are with child, from God. You will receive a baby who will become King. She was human but didn't sin either. Remember? SO she didn't have a missing hypothalamus and still never sinned. Mary was picked by God.
    We aren't all that fortunate to know our parents will always know the answer each moment of each day. They did because it was time for that. Sinfulness isn't a thing to worry about as long as you know you have Jesus to complete you. We are learners by "nature".
    When was the last time you needed to ask God to forgive you in "the Name of Jesus?"
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 4:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• As I recall, in the lost scriptures he was not a very nice youth. He did sinful things so Id say he was human and he sinned but because books were left out and early preachers and leaders made him into this perfect, sinless being...people forgot that.

You are right, he had to learn and grow and to do that he'd not have been perfect.
    Anonymous

• Wrong - Jesus is fully human and fully divine, AND He was without sin. It can be hard to wrap our human minds around things like this. It is one of those things believers in Jesus have to take by faith.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It is a great question BTW. Yes, he was human. He was born from a human mother, BUT again, God's holy spirit aided them making it possible for him to be born free of sin- " a lamb without blemish or spot" described in 1 Peter 1:19 He did have the opportunity to sin but He rejected Satan. He had his father's holy spirit to guide him. His conception was immaculate, so again, he is God's begotten son which makes him unique or divine.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Ati 13, if thoughts are considered sin, then how would they define temptation? Jesus was tempted in every way, according to the New Testement...Interesting question....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• in the lost scriptures

In what year were the "lost scriptures" written and by whom?  The ones I'm acquainted with were written hundreds of years after Jesus' death by non-Christians, after the cannon of the NT was placed together, and are therefor ficticious.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 7:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Jesus was both human and divine. I don't think He needed to learn how to not sin, as He was God in human flesh and already perfect. I wish I had more of an answer for you.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 7:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Wrong. Jesus was 100% without sin. He could not sin even if He was tempted. Jesus had a purpose on this earth. There had to be a sinless and blameless man to die on the Cross and take upon Himself sin... now get this... He did not sin on earth but on the Cross... He who was without sin BECAME sin for us. He became the sin, He had to do this so that we could go from OT Law to NT Grace!
    He was HUMAN as He could feel, be tempted ect just like us.. the only difference is He KNEW Who He was and KNEW He had to remain without SIN in order to save the World . :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We will never truly know because for some odd reason he goes from being a child to being an adult. Whatever may or may not have happened during his teenage years seems to have vanished. Possibly due to incriminating evidence. It's rather intriguing to wonder about things like this, but all one can do is speculate. I guess I will give the catch all christian answer.... You just have to have faith and believe. Don't question what you are being told. LOL i don't believe he was perfect either. Nor do I believe he is/was son of god. anyone care to fill me in on the missing years???

You are correct. Speculating does nothing! As far as the uh, "missing years"- documenting biographies of that era did not focus on childhood. The emphasis of Jesus's biography is mostly placed on his miracles and death and purpose. It was COMMON to leave out these years for EVERYONE at this time in history.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2010