What do you do when your 2 year old has a tantrum in Target?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would take them straight out of the store.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Continue doing my shopping..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Depends... is what I'm getting there really important? If I HAVE to get it now, I try to talk her down first. If that doesn't work we leave the cart and go outside until she stops. If she won't stop I just finish up and get out as fast as I can (I live out of town and a trip in costs gas money and time that I don't always have). If I don't NEED it RIGHT NOW then we leave and go home for nap time.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• depends on the type of tantrum.. I've done both, take him out or keep shopping
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Leave the store and go home. When they ask you why, tell them because they started screaming. People don't like to hear a child screaming at their mother.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I stand mine up, get right in his face and tell him to stop that mess this instance or we will go have a "Come to Jesus meeting in the bathroom". He would then ride in the cart and stay quiet for the rest of the shopping trip in Target.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Leave as fast as possible. When we get in the car tell him that his behavior is very bad and unacceptable and say we will not go back in until you can behave or we will go home. Let him have a minute or two of hysterics in the car. If he doesn't calm down, then we go right home and no TV & he gets time out. It usually works in the car and we can go back in without further hysterics. They learn quick. Or just wait until you can return shopping by yourself. My Son did this at Lowes Hardware Store and we went directly to the car and he was so worked up, he puked! Turned out he was brewing a bad cold. Sometimes there's a reason why they are cranky.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Leave.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Depends on how desperate I am to get shopping done. I don't always have the time to be heading into town to get things, especially if it's things that I really need. I will either ignore it, threaten a spank, or take her out of the store if we don't absolutely need what I'm in there for. If I'm with hubby or something I'll have him take her out to the car and I'll continue shopping. Most of the times though, distraction will stop it before it turns into a full fledge tantrum (food, drink, a video on the phone).
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If my kid was throwing a real screaming tantrum and they wanted to stay in the store, I'd definitely take them outside. I've come to learn that when my little ones are acting up (mostly whining and being aggravating to me or each other rather than full on tantrums) at the store it is mostly because they don't want to be there, so leaving the store is not really the best option for them since it is giving them what they want. One thing I'm currently trying is telling them that only kids who act sweet in the store get treats, and then when we leave I go through a drive-thru and get something for myself and anyone else who was sweet (this works really well as a consequence for one of my little ones, but not the other one). I've also tried doing basically a time-out in the store (find a quiet spot that is boring); this worked pretty well for me with one kid, but not when I had both of them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2010