What do you do when your best friend smokes around her kids but you don't smoke...

Do you avoid playdates and just talk on the phone? Or deal with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Meet at the park where everyone gets fresh air or in other smoker unfriendly places. Or invite her to your home and hope she has respect for it. She can walk to the curb if she MUST smoke.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If she was my best friend she'd know that i didn't want my kids around smoke so i am sure she would understand why we didn't visit her house.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well if it were me I'd be direct with her- as best friends are supposed to be able to be open, honest and accepting of each other. I would let her know that I love to spend time with her and have play dates for the kids but the smoking bothers me. I would ask if we could do play dates at my house (a non-smoking house), or have them at a park, or public place- -like chuck e cheese, mcdonald play area.... (in my city public places like that are now smoke-free).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I cant handle smoke like that....especially around my kids. I would just have to be honest and tell her that I dont like the smoke. She should understand if she is a true friend.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• All of my friends understand that I don't want people smoking around my child and they respect that.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 5:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My sister smokes around her child. Just flat out ask her not to smoke around your child. I told my sister I didn't like smoke around my son and asked her to smoke outside when she is at my home and she didn't mind. No reason to avoid the situation, just make it comfortable for you. By going places outside and if she doesn't want to avoid smoking around you and your child at her home, invite her to yours and ask her to step outside.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I can't be around cigarette smoke, because I'm allergic to it, so it's not a problem. If I was you, I would ask her not to smoke around your child, and if she couldn't do it, then I wouldn't be taking myself, or my kids to see her anymore. If she is really your best friend, then you should be able to talk about this, without it turning into something nasty.

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If she smokes in her house, my kids wouldn't be going over there. If she smokes while we're at a park or something, I'd make sure she was far enough away from my kids. My best friend does smoke, but only outside and she won't let any of the kids near her.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'd ask her not to smoke around me and mine.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I am a smoker and I do not smoke inside or around my children. The samething goes for any oter smoker i know. take it outside and away like i do. She'll understand if you ask her to step outside and away. I would feel funny smoking indoors anyway.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010