I want to give as many handmade gifts this year as possible. Do people do this? I would love ideas.

elizabeth5

Asked by elizabeth5 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• Yup. and thanx for reminding me i don't have a plan for this years' crafts yet. UGH!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• yes. i have done this before or i have bought little things and personalized them to the person. i like to make it special for the person i am giving it to.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I make sand art brownies French market bean soup in quart glass jars. Goggle and you will find the recipes and the cards to put on the jar. I cover the lids with fabric and tie a pretty ribbon on and they are lovely and so delicious.
    I also do a cookie exchange and that also a fun idea.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yep, the cookies in a jar is awesome and super easy!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I do craft with my daughter all the time and give them away as gifts. Like we out a plain wooden frame for a buck at the craft store she paints it and then I put a picture of her in there. I also had her paint ordements!! If you go to the craft store you can get TONS of ideas, and all family members love gifts homemade from the kids at least!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• A friend of mine just made magnets for everyone! They are soooo cute! She used bottletops, glued a magnet on the back, used her scrapbooking paper and punchouts and punched out a circle for the inside and then punched out frogs, butterflies, hearts, dragonflies, etc. and glued them in the inside. They came out really nice! She found the idea on some website.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 4:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm doing homemade fleece tie blankets. It's still a little bit expensive, but I love it because you can buy fleece in a pattern that the person you are making it for really likes, and if you find the fleece on sale, even better. That is waht I am making for all the kids in the family this year. Another good idea for people who may not have time to cook is to do a "Gifts from the Kitchen" theme. Get a clean mason jar, fill it with a homemade "mix" like the dry ingredients for brownies, cookies, etc. Type up or write the recipe on a small index card and using twine secure it to the jar. Put it in a basket along with a nice coffee mug, packet of cocoa, and peppermint stick, a book they would like, and a cute hand towel or oven mitt.. I love making jars for my friends, and they seem to enjoy getting them.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yup I have and do. I have my son make cards because who doesnt love for a child to make a card for them. For my mother, I made a scrapbook. It turned out great. I did pages for each of us children and each one had a page with a picture from their first christmas. I have done cookies also in a nice decorated container. Making wreaths are a fun and nice gift idea also.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We're doing that with Stocking Stuffers this year. And we did it for a gift the year before last.

We had Comedy Club tickets, so I made a bath of cookies to go with. This year we're making handmade soaps for Stocking Stuffers.

You can do treats like Candies, cookies, or other baked goods.
    You can make picture frames.
    Homemade candles.
    Homemade soaps.
    You can make a scrap book for someone special.
    Knit Blankets or scarves.
    Quilt a few quilts.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm making no sew blankets for my mom and mother in law, cookie mix in a jar for my nieces, and trying to come up with ideas for the rest of my crew. My sister says she doesn't want anything, just dinner with the family (she's coming in from out of state) but I like for everyone to get something.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 7:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010