What works?

You've tried everything you can to get your child to go to bed/sleep, but nothing seems to work. What have you tried in the past that's worked like a charm?

Sometimes I try to make it so that my daughter plays super hard during the day so that when we settle down for a bedtime story, she's out within ten minutes.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 4:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Things I have tried:

Changing bedtime to a later time.
    Giving a snack an hour before bedtime. This was when they were younger and/or going through a growth spert.
    Playing them hard that day, so that they're exhausted by bedtime.
    Witholding a nap from my oldest.
    Taking them on a ride before bedtime.

That's all I can think of.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• How old?

I personally never obsessed on a particular time. I let him read himself to sleep when he was old enough to handle books. Even just looking at a picture book for a while worked. To this day, reading to sleep works.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• we lay down at 7:30 for our wind down time with a movie until 8 30 then turn it off and they are out by 9 at the latest
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 4:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Oh, this was just a general question. My daughter will be 4 next month. We put her down for the night around 8 and she falls asleep either within 30 minute or two hours. Sometimes, in the middle of the night, she'll crawl into our bed; we won't realize it until she's been there awhile (she's already warm with sleep; if that makes sense).
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• after 2, no naps, and put them in bed, ( remove the lightbulb), and close the door, and walk way! I have NEVER ad a bedtime problem b/c I start this from age 7 monthes! GL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i know exactly what u mean because even my soon to be 8 yr old will occasionally crawl into my bed in the night
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 10:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2010