What would you do...about the cat box?

I am 18 weeks and dh immediately agreed to emptying the cat box everyday when we found out we were expecting. I have to remind him literally everyday but in the past few weeks he wont do it when he says. We have 2 cats so it needs to be done everyday, we have a 3 yr old and I babysit a 10 month old who I obviously don't want to be in a stinky house. Yesterday (1pm) I saw the cats knocked over their box and I asked him to fix it and he said sure no problem but by this morning it still wasn't cleaned up and the cats had no where to go to the bathroom! I have tried suggestions like do it at the same time everyday but nothing seems to work. I go to bed early because I am so tired so I ask him for the second time to do it before he goes to bed but then he forgets and I am the one who has to smell it the next day because he "ran out of time" the next morning. ugh.

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i would get a mask and do it myself, my hubby tries to be helpful but sometimes their standards arent the same as ours, especially if they arent around it all day. Just make sure to wash your hands well and wear the mask. If you have had your cats for a while you have more than likely already been exposed to toxoplasmosis and if they are strictly indoor cats you dont have as much to worry about but take the precautions just in case.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• if hes not doing it i would invest in a mask and do it myself because that is not healthy nor sanitarty
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 4:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Ok, great that is what I did this morning. I put on those big yellow gloves and just did it. Afterward, I washed and "alcoholed" my hands and the broom handle I used. He made me feel bad like I almost killed our baby, you know that parasite that can live in cat feces which can kill the baby? I don't feel so bad anymore. I feel like I effectively managed the risk. Thanks.
    katie23

Comment by katie23 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I use disposable gloves myself. There is no risk to your baby as long as precautions r taken.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Make him go to your next OB appt and have your doctor tell him exactly what could happen if you come in contact with the cat feces. Tell him you will find them a new home if he can't do his part.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• wear gloves and wash your hands afterwards! If you've been around cats for many years you most likely are immune to that disease, but still, better to be safe.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That is a good idea thatgirl70. Maybe it will be in the forefront of his mind if he hears it from the dr.
    katie23

Comment by katie23 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• When I was pregnant I had to do the same thing because hubby wasn't always dependable for it, so I bought some of the big yellow gloves like you said you used and a face mask I asked for some at the hospital and just did it myself. Just make sure to always wash your hands after and try not to inhale or touch the used litter. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 4:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• When I was pregnant with both of my kids I had two cats, was a foster home for kittens and was working as a groomer at a shop where we did cats. I cleaned a million litter boxes in my two pregnancies. The worry is that you might get a parasite that the cat MIGHT haveiyou would have to ingest it to get it. As long as you wash your hands when you are done cleaning the litterbox (and I hope everyone does this anyway lol) then you will be fine. I had two healthy kids and still have two cats and foster kittens.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have 7 cats, 4 litter boxes, and they need to be cleaned twice a day... There is NO WAY my fiance would remember, or do it the way I want him to, so I do it myself. I actually checked up on this, and if your cats are strictly indoors, they aren't at risk to carry the disease anyway. They pick it up from outdoor feces and such... So I don't even wear rubber gloves. The doctors can test you to see if you are immune. I wasn't, but that's only because I was never exposed to it in the first place, since my cats are indoors only.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010