Searching for a healthy recipe for chili

I would like to use turkey but even willing to try vegetarian. Every recipe I find has a high sodium content. Thanks!

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• All of the above - vegetarian, just using beans, combo of bell peppers, etc. - venison or buffalo meat YUM.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Google the Wendy's chili recipe. Use lean meat (or leave it out completely--not that I would, chili isn't chili w/out meat, LOL--might as well call it bean soup). For the salt in the recipe, I use No Salt. I don't know how much sodium is in the beans, but I think you can buy low sodium beans (or use dry beans). You use fresh vegetables as well (tomatoes, onions, green chili and celery).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I throw a veggie chili together with Boca crumbles (my DH can't tell its not meat! But you could use turkey, I'm not a fan personally), onions, garlic, red and green peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, squash, a can of tomatoes a can of red kidney beans and a can of dark kidney beans. Then I either season with chili powder, cumen, s&p, etc., or I go easy and get a packet of chili seasoning.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If you use the dry beans (make ahead of time), and no salt tomato sauce, then you can add your own salt to taste and it won't be too high in sodium....ground turkey works well, but if you like beef, using ground round or ground chuck is fine...just brown and drain ahead of time...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I make mine out of venison so that it has allot less fat. I also use very little chili powder and substitute with other seasonings and add extra onions and even a dash of cinnamon. I also use allot of beans (1 can dark kidney, 1 can light kidney, 1 can black beans, 1 can pinto beans and one can chili beans) which increases the fiber content. You can also add mushrooms to help with the meaty texture with out adding calories.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 5:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I use buffalo meat which is much leaner and tastes better in my family's opinion. And I add a ton of veggies to it.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Not hard to do.

Use a lean ground beef, or turkey.
    Rinse the beans to remove lots of sodium.
    Use low/no salt tomatoes.
    Don't use a seasoning packet, but a blend of separate chili's/herbs.

LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 3:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2010