How long, after becoming a widow, did you take off the wedding band?

There is a significant age differnce between my DH and me and it's clear we're not growing old together.
I thought today, that actually the day it happens, I should take off the ring to wear it round my neck on a little golden chain. I won't be married anymore, so why wear the ring and extend the pain. Everyday you're in denial will make it harder to let go eventually.
Some days I'm so level-headed about this.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• I think when the widow is ready. I personally don't see anything wrong if she even just changes her wedding ring from her left hand to her right one. There is nothing wrong with holding on to the symbol of the good marriage you had.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My wedding band disappeared about 6 months before my husband died....I took it off to wash the dishes and I think my youngest daughter and her friend lost it...and it was never replaced. I'm not sure how long I would have continued to wear it if I had it when he passed away. My dad died in 1992 and my mom never took her ring off. She passed away in September 2009 and she was buried with her wedding band on.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't think anyone knows what they would do in such a situation until it happens to them, so I hope not to be able to answer your question for a looooooooooooooooong loooooooooooooooooooooong looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think it depends on each couples relationship. My grandparents were married 52 yrs when he passed. My grandmother lived 19 years after that. The ring only came off after the funeral service. I think that's how it wouid probably be for me. My sister was a widow after only 3 yrs of marriage..she took hers off at about 6 months. It's very individual. I don't think it has anything to do with denial...it's about letting go.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't think I could take it off. I'd wear it always and want to be buried with it on.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• How old is your hubby? Does he have health problems? I think no matter how prepared ypu are when you experience the loss you may change your mind. This is probably different for everyone.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Don't know I haven't thought about it
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm 29, he'll turn 61 in december and -yes- health problems too. I love him dearly.
    We'll see ... Step by step, right?
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well, I'm not in that position but I would still consider myself married even though he has died. Unless I got remarried, I would still wear it on my proper ring finger.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• How long have you been married? I would probably wear it until I felt like I didnt need to wear it anymore. You cna have a plan but just rememebr its ok to just go with your feelings at that time. Do your families accept your relationship or has it been a struggle?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010