CONSTANT pointing!!!!!

My soon to be year old daughter constantly is pointing at thins, sometimes things that aren't there!!! She often says "wasss sat" while pointing! I have googled this, but am only coming up with links taking me to posts of people whose children won't point......That's not the issue here!!!

GGMOSSMAMA

Asked by GGMOSSMAMA at 5:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ask a doctor but chances are she's just fine, little kids get curious even about tiny specs on the wall. She may be seeing something that isn't there but she could also be seeing something you don't like a bug or a mark etc.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 5:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• It's normal. She's asking you what things are. When she points to nothing, just say, "nothing!" It's a normal part of development for kids to do this. :)
    Anonymous

• my dd is 1 also she has been pointing and aking "wesh shat" whats that for quite a while now i never really know all the time what shes pointing at but ill find something and guess thats what shes asking about and answer her.
    Keolalani

Answer by Keolalani at 5:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• She may very well be pointing at something. That blank wall? It could have an interesting texture or maybe it's the light switch. The empty sky? Maybe she saw a bug or bird fly by seconds before she pointed.
    Things that are "nothing" to you, that you overlook out of habit and familiarity are new and exciting to her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I wouldn't worry, most people worry when there child will not point. Its probably a phase, just let your DR know at your next visit.
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 5:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• It's definitely a good thing, and the fact that she's putting two words together is great too! Congratulations on having a bright daughter!
    woodj2

Answer by woodj2 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My 17 month old has done the same thing since she was about 13 months old! I find it adorable and almost always upon closer inspection will see what she sees!
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 5:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would say just inquistive. My two yr old does not point and ask.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 8:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Nothing wtong with the pointing at all, just means you have a curious child; which is never a bad thing. I always encourage the pointing by pointing things out to them and saying what it is. Sometimes when they point and ask I make it a lesson by adding a color, number or letter.
    cherbear3317

Answer by cherbear3317 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008