Things that I need to remember when moving to another state?

Ok, Help ladies. I know I need to change my mail, my license, and my work information but what could I be forgetting?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Depending upon where you are moving to, check to make sure you will be able to get insurance on your new home! We moved down here to SC from MD and were very surprised at how hard it was to find insurance on the new house. Also, check into the schools!! Know where you are going to be sending your children!! I ended up sending my son to private schools because South Carolina is one of the worst states in the country for education. Highest drop out rate, lowest SAT scores. Bullying is rampant in the public schools and discipline is very low. Check to see if the local doctors and hospitals take your insurance if you will be taking it with you. Find out about crime, too. I know this sounds stupid. But the neighborhood that we now live in has been hit 4 times in the three years we've lived here. Upon a little research we found out that the town we live in has a higher crime rate than the whole state!!
    continued....
    azhlynne

Answer by azhlynne at 5:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• check the states laws, there may be some things you are unaware of. Like in some states you have to have two license plates, in other states you only need one, and stupid little laws like that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Car registration, different states have different rules about car inspections, excise or sales tax, etc. I have made the move out of state twice. I don't think there really anything else besides what we have mentioned that is different from an instate move.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think the hardest part is the disconnected feeling, when the corner store is no longer the corner store, when you have to make new habits and develop connections.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• continued...
    We had a man holding a mallet standing outside our garage window one night at 2am. My husband had been out in the garage with a couple of buddies playing pool and one of the men went outside (to use the facilities, LOL) and discovered this strange man standing there in the dark. When the guys chased him they further discovered that there was another man hiding in the bushes!! We've had to invest in an alarm and my husband has bought a gun. It is not a very good feeling to live somewhere that is not very safe! Check into it! it will give you peace of mind later!
    azhlynne

Answer by azhlynne at 5:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010