What do you do to save money in tiny ways, that really ends up in big ways in the end?

vvlinley21

Asked by vvlinley21 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Shopping

• I never wash small loads of laundry. I iron all my husbands dress shirts instead of dry cleaning..but that isn't just to save $$..it's because they do a crappy job and break buttons, I like to buy bulk meats, break them down and freeze meal portions. I make meals like spaghetti ahead and put in individual containers so my husband is more likely to take lunch instead of buying. Every time he takes lunch it save between 8-12 bucks average. The thermostat is set and locked out. People don't realize how much energy it burns to constantly move it up and down. My grandson has lots of allergies..I buy the wash soap HE can stand instead of two or three different kinds.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't have subscription TV service. I have internet and use Hulu and stream netflix off my Wii. We save all of our change and try to forget that it is there.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Lots of little things...every penny counts....I take all loose change and put it in a jar and turn it in for dollars....I cook from scratch....a lot of soups and salads in the winter...I buy fresh veggies locally....I pack my kid school lunches and make the stuff I put in it...turn off lights...there is a book called the tightwad gazette and a book called miserly moms filled with ideas....save electricity by hanging clothes on the line...hand wash dishes instead of using dishwasher...I only own one 2 pairs of shoes, and so do my children and husband...we hang out at home for fun....grill out with family and neighbors, etc....only buy christimas gifts for my husband and kids, only buy gifts for others if we are going to an event...and then only give affordable gifts...bake birthday cakes from scratch...fresh fruit and homemade goodies for snacks....for excercise we walk, play outside, and do house and yard work...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I plan my meals in advance before going to the grocery store. A lot of times, I'll look at the circulars first, plan a meal based on what meat is on sale. I make a list, and stick with it. If it's not on the list, unless it's something that I forgot to add that we absolutely need, I won't buy it. It has really cut down on our grocery bills.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 5:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We have stopped eating out. I cook at home. We save on gas and money. Just wish I could still get the tip. lol
    MaggiePoo88

Answer by MaggiePoo88 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We started using cash for most of our purchases. We budget, take a total amount out at the beginning of the month and divvy it up into categories. It keeps all our spending in check. If we don't have the cash left at the end of the month, we live without it till the next month. What we have been able to save since we started doing this kind of amazes us.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I never use to clip coupons but now I do and I use my Kroger plus card. I save alot of money this way. You will find that they will mail you coupons of items you use after your first purchases and it really saves.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We don't have cable. We have a computer hooked up to the TV and we watch Hulu or Netflix via the DVD player. I make my own laundry detergent. I use cloth diapers.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have a meal plan of over 40 dishes, not counting lunch and breakfast.
    All of them are cheap and quick.

We buy food in bulk when its on sale, and stock up for lean times.

We only shop once a week, and less often if we can.

We pay our bills online, to save time and gas.

Wash and dry clothes at night, in the off peak hours.

Buy most of our clothing at consingment and resale shops.

Combine errands (shopping w/oil changes, ect) to save gas and time.

Cut all our hand and dish soap with 1/3 to 1/2 water to stretch it.

Keep the curtains pulled during mid day, when it's hottest, to cool the house.

Drink more homemade tea and water, and keep the soft drinks for treats.

Make our snacks and treats homemade, cheaper and healthier.

Use the library for books and newspapers, and some magazines.

Use meat sparingly, and have several meatless
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 1:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Agree with christinab313 !! We have lived on a cash basis now for 12 years - no credit cards or debt of any kind now except the new house we just bought (and the monthly-type house bills). We have not bought a new car since 1986 and save and pay cash for those too - buy a good used one, pay cash, and run it until it dies !! We do try to look at SalvationArmy and GoodWill for things first before we buy at a retail store. All of our purchases are considered carefully. We try to keep a minimum or bottom limit of money always in the checking account.

All of it adds up and we rarely have to wait to buy anything that we really want. And now that we finally own our own home again, we have been making strides to have enough money set aside to make two "extra" house payments a year, so that we can pay off the mortgage in less time than we planned for. I would not live any other way now !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2010